1972 20 hp Johnson Seahorse pulling to the right

grrrrrant

Recruit
I have a 1972 20 hp Johnson Seahorse that is pulling hard to the right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is an adjustment "fin" above the prop like on other motors. I've looked and found nothing I can adjust. How can I correct this? This is on a 14' flat bottom jon boat and wasn't doing this before. I recently had to change the water impeller. I noticed it was pulling to the right slightly, before. But now it seems way worse. It is also worse at higher speed. The trim is set to what I've always had it on before. I have tried other trim positions, but they don't plane out the boat. And it still pulls. I have a manual for the motor but nowhere does it say anything about the motor steering (pulling) to one side. Any idea on what is going on, and how do I go about correcting this?

kbait

Commander
Re: 1972 20 hp Johnson Seahorse pulling to the right

Mine will pull if I have it trimmed in too far.. There's a friction adjustment (standard screwdriver bolt) between the transom clamps, back and just above top of transom. May be a bit harder to pivot after tightening, but you can let go of the tiller @ speed when adjusted correctly. Also, make sure the motor is centered on the boat. Good luck!

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the motor sits all the way down on the transom solid. only a 1/4" up and itll track to one side. also, is the boat warpped?

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi you should check the skeg on the motor if it is bent a little it can pull pretty hard to one side

grrrrrant

Recruit

Thank you guys for responding. losnbama: It is centered and set all the way down. The boat is not warped. Handyman1: It looks like the skeg may be slightly bent to the right. Any recommendations for correcting this? Maybe A large set of pliers, and try to gently bend it back? Once again, thank you all for your help. I appreciate it!

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you have to be careful bending aluminum it breaks very easy i would take it to a good welding shop who has experience with aluminum and marine repairs. good luck.