Help! lower unit will not come off.

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1986 Merc. 45hp ELPTO #0A996708
Still trying to remove the lower unit, have tried in vain for two days to remove the lower unit so as I can replace the water pump.
Followed the directions in my Solic Merc. book, removed all three bolts, drained the unit and put into forward, pryed and beat the heck out of the lower unit to the point of frustration, (rubber hammer and plastic wedges) can only get the lower unit to drop less than a 1/4 inch.
Put washers above the two side bolts and loosened the bolts putting pressure against the upper unit till the bolts would loosen no more, without breaking something, to no avail. Tried hitting the starter while prying on the lower unit, engine will crank over till unit is dropped the 1/4 inch then engine locks up and will not turn over till pressure is released. Back in forward gear and try again, still
lower unit will not drop from upper housing, no way, no how!
HELP..... what's next???????

Norm

bighh7

Seaman
Re: Help! lower unit will not come off.

Sounds like the shaft is ceased in the crank , ive drilled a hole with a hole saw then cut the shaft and welded a plate onto the shaft and used a puller to remove the cut shaft . Good luck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you pull the trim tab and bolt that's under it? And the one forward of the trim tab. I think you have 4 total, not 3. A nut on either side and 2 bolts toward the aft end of the gear case with one under the trim tab. The L/U should drop evenly. At least that's my experience.

Dru

Recruit

look at where the shaft comes up in the motor casing and there is a tab that you can flip up and pull out that will release everything. you may have to wiggle the throttle to get it to come loose.

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are correct, there are 4 bolts. I did not count the trim tab bolt as one of the bolts that holds the lower unit on. But yes, trim tab bolt then three bolts that hold the gear case to the center section.
thanks....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are correct, there are 4 bolts. I did not count the trim tab bolt as one of the bolts that holds the lower unit on. But yes, trim tab bolt then three bolts that hold the gear case to the center section.
thanks....

Actually it is 5 fasteners. I didn't count the one holding the trim tab on. You did remove the one under the trim tab?

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

GA Boater... now you have me confused, in your first blast you said 4 fasteners, now you are saying five???
I have the trim tab bolt and the bolt that under it, plus the one on each side.. I do not see any other bolts, nor does the book indicate any other bolts.
After re-reading you first blast, it would seem that you are saying that there is one bolt on each side, plus two in the rear not to include the trim tab bolt...
norm