Does the "S" in DonS stand for Steering?

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have tight steering in my 89 OMC Cobra. Have greased the outdrive and the zerk on the steering rod. Power Steering fluid is fine. Belt is fine.<br /><br />Did a search in this forum and found 2 posts where I believe it's the cable/corrosion. Last year Don S posted 2 times on how do do this and even posted a picture of where this is on the boat. Very nice.<br /><br />Here is my dumb question: Once I get the steering cable out of the aluminium tube, how do I clean the tube? With a brush, rag? screwdriver? <br /><br />Then what grease/lube to use? Same grease I use for my wheel bearings, or the kind of grease I use for my garage door opener track, WD40? <br /><br />Then to get the cable back through the tube...does it just push back through or do I need to fish it through?<br /><br />This forum (and DonS and Bondo's posts) are incredible. Maybe someday I'll even be able to add value by posting answers instead of just asking questions!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does the "S" in DonS stand for Steering?

Once I get the steering cable out of the aluminium tube, how do I clean the tube? With a brush, rag? screwdriver?
Yes!, use what ever it takes. Even some fine sand paper and a wooden dowel rod will work. It's the corrosion on the aluminum tube that causes the problem.<br /><br /><br />
Then what grease/lube to use? Same grease I use for my wheel bearings, or the kind of grease I use for my garage door opener track, WD40?
I have been using Mercruisers "Anti Corrosion" grease for the last few years and really like it.<br />Seems to do great in salt water boats.<br />You don't want a heave "Wheel Bearing" grease, and WD-40 isn't a lube.<br />Any good marine waterproof grease will do.<br /><br />
Then to get the cable back through the tube...does it just push back through or do I need to fish it through?<br />
The end of the cable is a stainless steel shaft with the eye in it for the pin. Just clean it up, lube it up, and slide it back in and tighten the big nut on the cable.