What is up with all white portable shelters in Quebec?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I drove from Manchester NH to Saguenay Quebec today and couldn?t help but notice all the white portable shelters in the driveways as I neared Quebec. What is up with these things? One would think the snow would crush them.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: What is up with all white portable shelters in Quebec?

Garages put up just for the winter.
Snow comes off them on its own....doesn't build-up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My first thought was School Bus Stop shelters. How big are they??

robert graham

Admiral

They're pretty good, cheap, easy to intall metal tube frame and tarp shelters, sold at Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, lots of places. I keep my boat under one that's 12'x20', have to replace the tarp about every 2 or 3 years. A wet snow can pile up on it, but most snow will blow/slide off. A really strong wind could tear it up, but I've been lucky on the wind, so far. These shelters come in a great variety of sizes, some even have sides on them for a total enclosure, but mine's just the top so daylight and fresh air gets in to my boat. A good alternative to a boat cover/tarp, especially if you like to work in and on your boat during the storage season. Good Luck!:)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

There have been a couple of deaths in Quebec in the past few years as people went inside to push the snow off and the unit collapsed, suffocating the person under the tarp and snow weight.
Never remove snow from inside, drag it off from the outside.
I leave my sides open as Robert does. Mine is up year round over my marine railway. I just put one end curtain on for the winter so snow doesn't build up on the boat.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

....There have been a couple of deaths in Quebec in the past few years as people went inside to push the snow off and the unit collapsed, suffocating the person under the tarp and snow weight.
Never remove snow from inside, drag it off from the outside.

OR carry a sharp knife with you!

Actually, if you can get to it before there is a huge build up, the easiest way on the canvas is to use the back side of a pushbroom from underneath. Start low down and push up and down gently til the snow falls off. Then move up higher.