I've got the "BUG" Fist Time Wakeboarding

gunsup007

Seaman
Growing up one of my good friends family had a boat and that is how I learned to water ski, knee-board, and get slung around on a tube. Back 20 years ago there was no such thing as a wakeboard. My wife and I recently took a trip to Cali to visit some of my wife's family, and they took us out to introduce us to wakeboarding. Man, I am hooked!!! It was a blast. For those of you seasoned fellows like myself that have never tried it, get out there and do a few face plants to see what you think. I have also posted a video of my first time out below. For those of you new to the sport or those of you that have a hard time getting up, you will notice that the tow rope was really short. My wife's family do that to help first timers to pop straight up. Man it makes it easy to stand up, but hard to stay up. Once you get used to popping up, then you can lengthen the rope back to normal and it is much easier to stay up. Don't laugh to hard at the video. Enjoy! :facepalm:

86 century

Ensign
Re: I've got the "BUG" Fist Time Wakeboarding

Your not skiing anymore turn your hips parellel to the boat hold the rope at your front hip.
Makes life a lot better.

If you are an old slolom guy tun the boots as far as they will go to point your feet at the boat that a goofy ride but makes it feel more natural till you get into the standing sideways crap(helped me a lot)
Another thing try droping your back hand will help you get inline with the boat.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats. Looked at the video and I understand the more vertical angle of the short rope, but at that length you're right in the curl, either fighting the wake or sliding down it. Adding even 10' would help. Oh well, you're up!

gunsup007

Seaman

thanks for the advice guys! I can't wait for the weather to warm up to get back at it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I prefer "knife waking" .. some call it now "wake Knifing" ..old school is Salmon skiing ;) ,,

Its Salmon ski ..or now Salimon ( one ski )

If you get that then you will never go back or even try Boarding ..

Boarding is too harsh and too muscle intensive .. why do it ?

We can 1 board for hours and hours while you try that surface board ....

I dont need to fly across the wake .. i need 27 knots to fly me around for hours of fun :) ..

YD.

PS. I can still put my hand in the water when burnin and turnin .. oh..and the land fall is the best :) ..

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Are you trying to say slalom?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Awesome! Way to go. I second dropping the rear hand till you get the hang of riding.

gunsup007

Seaman

Dropping that back hand sounds like an awesome tip! Will try, thanks guys.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats. Looked at the video and I understand the more vertical angle of the short rope, but at that length you're right in the curl, either fighting the wake or sliding down it. Adding even 10' would help. Oh well, you're up!

Good work. Your rope is def too short though. A longer rope will help with the handle position and that will help you keep the board parallel with the boat. Then you can stay between the wakes and work on your steering without having to fight all that wash.

Enjoy the bug!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i love smoked slalom on a cracker :)