winterizing in the water is this do-able ?

lucdr

Recruit
My son has an old boot with 2 volvo pentas QA131C, in boad moters with an outboard driveing system they are trimable and can be moved out of the water.

My question is

is it posible to drain all the water by remover the impeller cover and to leave the boad in the water for the winter.

thanks luc

Bondo

Staff member
Re: winterizing in the water is this do-able ?

My son has an old boot with 2 volvo pentas QA131C, in boad moters with an outboard driveing system they are trimable and can be moved out of the water.

My question is

is it posible to drain all the water by remover the impeller cover and to leave the boad in the water for the winter.

thanks luc

Ayuh,.... You can winterize in the water, but there's more to drain that just pullin' the impeller cover off the raw water pump....

At a minimum, ya gotta find the Block drains, 'n the Manifold drains, 'n Drain 'em...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

NEVER leave an opening in any water system.It can siphon water in and sink the boat.
Being as it's a I/O you can winterize it to a point.Remove the intake hose and pour RED antifreeze back in the hose till you think it's comming out the drive.
Regular auto antifreeze is ILLEGAL to use in boats now.POISON!!
Then winterize the rest of the motor.Making sure that you drain the heat exchangers.
Filling with the RED stuff.No liquid will accelerate rust/corrosin.

lucdr

Recruit

Thanks for your comments.

We gona take the boat out of the water :)

Luc

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

His boat likely has closed cooling so draining the block is not necessary assuming there is coolant in it. Does need to drain the heat exchanger though.