Volvo penta XDP outdrive

Brian Young

Recruit
The skeg on my XDP composite outdrive has broken off. Is it possible to replace such a skeg or does the entirre casing have to be replaced?

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo penta XDP outdrive

The skeg on my XDP composite outdrive has broken off. Is it possible to replace such a skeg or does the entirre casing have to be replaced?

Is it completely broken off or chipped or cracked? Sometimes you can put a skeggard over it. Do you have a pic of it?

Brian Young

Recruit

Thanks for the comeback. The entire skeg is broken off so that you can see the joint between to two halves of the outdrive inside the new opening. It appears the outdrive consists of two half shells split down the middle. The skeg on the other outdrive doesn't seem to be split like the casing so I thought the skeg must be attached after the two halves of the outdrive are joined.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

NP, Sounds like you'll have to get ya a new one there. I have just used a skeggard on chipped ones before. Those guards are nice. I am always on a cloudy water lake so there is always some junk in there. I can't tell you how many times I have saw broken lower units and skegs on my local lake. Barren River Lake that is.

Thalasso

Commander

I think your into a new one (used) if you can find it. I just saw one this week at a marina just in that condition.Port side unit cleanly cleaned off and stb, scuffed on the bottom of skeg. The stbd can probably be reglassed.You aren't from Pgh are you?

Brian Young

Recruit

I don't know what "Pgh" is or where, but I don't think I'm from there. I understand Volvo had an upgrade promotion back in the day to replace the composite drives with an interchangeable model made from a metal alloy. We are going to look into that fix. The more we hear about the composite drives the less confident we are about them. Have you heard of such a promotion?

Thalasso

Commander

I don't know what "Pgh" is or where, but I don't think I'm from there. I understand Volvo had an upgrade promotion back in the day to replace the composite drives with an interchangeable model made from a metal alloy. We are going to look into that fix. The more we hear about the composite drives the less confident we are about them. Have you heard of such a promotion?

Yes, i heard of a promotion but it has been awhile. I doubt it is still in effect beings that they don't produce your outdrive anymore. They had to many related problems with that outdrive. I can't see why you can't put a regular drive on there but it is going to involve alot of work and $$$$$$$$$$$.Pgh (Pittsburgh)as in Pennsylvania. Is this for freshwater or salt application.Volvo came out with one that is ceramic coated for saltwater.