How much room between boat and guide ons?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just curious how much room to leave? I would like it snug as possible but not too tight, Just curious what you guys are doing.

LK

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much room between boat and guide ons?

mine work GREAT and I built them 1 3/4" (edit actually 3 1/2") NARROWER than the boat... they have to flex out to load the boat and do a very good job of centering the boat even in a cross current

I've had them on other boats with a gap and flush and they worked but these work better

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I actually like mine to have a gap so that I can have my boat cover sit inside them. For me they just keep the boat form swinging while I am trying to load. The bottom bunks themselves do the final centering of the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I actually told ya wrong... mine are set in 1 3/4" each for a total of 3 1/2".... I have a thru hull transducer on the bottom that I don't want to damage on a bunk... I sits about 3/4" from the bunk so I need to be perfectly positioned from the start

I simply installed (welded) the uprights flush against the hull and then pried them out enough to slide the 2x6 carpeted bunk in.... then I drilled and lag bolted in place

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My side bunks mount with 2" receivers welded to the trailer so positioning of the bunk is set by the amount you slide into the receiver. There is a bolt with a welded nut on the receiver that sets it into position.

I have a similar situation with a thru hull fitting that would hit a bottom bunk. I modified my bunk so that there is basically a cuttout area where the thru hull is. It is near the stern of the boat so that portion of the boat is always floating so the boat is never sliding across that area of the bunk. I basically cut the bunk in two and cutout a one foot section. I then screwed in a 2x6 that runs the span of the bunk underneath to provide support.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

There is about an inch and a half between my poles and hull on mine.

Alwhite00

BTW - These have rubber rollers on them - 12" long. - If that matters.

LK

cribber

Lieutenant

I've got about 2 inches between my guide-ons on either side. Not too tight but just enough to snug me up on windy days retrieving the boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I too have about an inch or so on the sides and since my hull has 3 distinct steps in it (flat) I set my bunks just outboard of the final step and it just snuggles nicely between for the final alignment.

If I had a v hull with lifting strakes, I'd do the same thing so that the strakes would settle between the bunks and the boat would right itself.

Mark

Philster

Captain

I have about 1" at most on each side between my guide on poles and the rub rail of my boat.

For the edification of othesr who confuse the terms...

Guide ons: poles on side of boat to bump boat into position for loading at ramp.

Glide ons: typically made of Teflon or similar material and set on bunks to allow boat to slide on to bunks better when floating on isn't practical.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Same as Birch. Bout 1 1/2" does it.

Alwhite00

thanks for the info - I think I am going to set them about 1" away and see what happens - I am thinking if I get it close it will center itself. (roller trailer) I don't want to tub the finish off either.

LK