I have ???? about keel guard when beaching my 1985 16ft glass stream bass boat.

jgelsthorpe

Cadet
when the water is low in fall, winter And spring us bass anglers have no choice but to beach our boats but on some very rough ground like sand rocks or a boat ramp which is what i use because the dock is out of the water ( I live in middle GA. ) and we fish year around but they lower water level in winter for storm water run off ( so no flooding and also to send downstream for water treatment plant for drinking water) and I have a older 16ft v-hull fiberglass bass boat , I know that keel guard makes a strip but it will not work for because my keel goes from a V to a flat bottom and the keel is out of water most of the time and the flat botom is usally what is rubbing the ground or concrete boat ramp. so just wondering if I can use something like the tough guard spray on bed linner stuff to protect bottom of the boat . I am not worried about seeing it because you can not see it on the trailer or floating in the water , you would only see it when taking off until it planes out . so if you have any thought , idea's or experience on this subject please help me before i damage it any more than i already have with scratches . oh yea I don't want to spend a ton of money on this project because it is a 1985 and will be getting a new skeeter boat next summer with all the latest and greatest technalogy. sorry for any misspelled words I am not a spelling wiz just a ase diesel mechanic LOL. thanks for any info you may have for me.........

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I have ???? about keel guard when beaching my 1985 16ft glass stream bass boat.

I don't know the answer but, I would probably stay away from the bedliner material cause it is just too ruff. That area seems to me should be as smooth as posible.

jgelsthorpe

Cadet
Re: I have ???? about keel guard when beaching my 1985 16ft glass stream bass boat.

he keel guard will work for the v part but wonder about the flat part. I wonder wher i can get a sheet or a peice of the polymer . like what they put on the transom before mounting the motor ???

rirory

Seaman

You can use the keel gard or keel shield--they are both excellant. You can start it farther back if you wish. It will, however, transition from V to flat very nicely. I have installed many of them and i put them on every boat that i own. Make sure you lay product in the sun prior to installation so it is easier to work with. I do alot of fishing in northern New England and all boats are beached along the rocky shores. There are no docks, so it really protects the boat.

good luck
ri rory