2008 4.3L tks Rebuild

ssb33r

Seaman Apprentice
In the midst of a rebuild on a 2008 4.3L tks ser# 1A325927. Just wondering what i can use for bearing and rings?? Do they use anything special or are they just standard 2000+ gm 4.3L bearings??
Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 2008 4.3L tks Rebuild

2008 engine needing a rebuild? There has got to be a story to that.

Try Summitracing.com , they have a search where you can filter for marine grade engine parts. I believe that the rings and bearings are the same, but it is worth a check.

ssb33r

Seaman Apprentice

Ya there is a bit of a story, I got it complete for less than a song and dance, but no one knows why it was no longer in a boat. Was going to fire it on the floor and see what it sounds like, check oil pressure and such but if I start to tear into it and find something Id just like to be able to get the short block back together quickly. Plus I get some really sweet deals at local parts store but they dont deal in marine anything, so ill order a gasket set before i start the teardown but dont want to have a bunch of stuff that I dont need and will cost me a fortune to send back if i end up finding nothing

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you need a timing cover and oil pan, I have one of each going cheap...

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I think the exhaust manifold gaskets are different, but that shouldn't stop you from buying a complete gasket set from FelPro or whatever, and then just getting the right exhaust manifold gaskets. I just picked up a FelPro gasket set for $78 (minus coupons) from Advance Auto Parts. No way I'm spending the $250+ they get for the "marine" sets. Bearings will be the same story. You can pick up re-ring kits on Ebay that have piston rings, Main & Rod bearings, and a complete gasket set for under $150.

ssb33r

Seaman Apprentice

So posting this for anyone who might read this in the future, according to the summit racing tech team, the rotating assembly is the same as its auto cousin so the rings and bearings cross over :) Also does anyone have a link to a pdf manual for this engine?? My buddy decided his needed to go home

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just want to jump in here and say a big THANKS to Chris! I nearly spent $150 on these manuals two months ago; these are going to be a big help!

ON edit: is there one available for the Alpha I outdrive?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Just want to jump in here and say a big THANKS to Chris! I nearly spent $150 on these manuals two months ago; these are going to be a big help!

ON edit: is there one available for the Alpha I outdrive?

:D :D

You'll also want this one, it's for the dry-joint exhaust system-> http://www.4shared.com/document/yW2wLNs3/Service_Manual_37.html
And for controls -> http://www.4shared.com/document/Gsz8M-KN/Merc_Controls_Newest_manual.html?

Chris........