300 sc helm drain issue

Doug Weiss

Cadet
I have a 2000 300 SC and when it rains, water pools in front
of helm seat. I found a drain behind the helm (access through
panel in head) but there appears to be a drainage problem.
Also noticed water coming in to the aft cabin by the mirror
when we had a major rain storm. Any one else have this
problem?

Thanks

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 300 sc helm drain issue

Hi Doug,

Had the same on my Elegante. Didn't notice it until it rained when the carpet at the top of the companionway was not in place.
You need to fix it before you damage the lining in the aft cabin.

Someone at Doral is not too good with silicone guns! My drain needed to be removed, old silicone cleaned off and then reset... No more leaks:D
Transom bung was the same...

Doug Weiss

Cadet

On mine, it looks like the drain is actually a thru hull but I do see a lot of old silicone around the fitting. The only way I can get to it is behind the mirror in the head which is a small opening. Not sure how I am going to tackle this one.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

More likely than not, you will find the silicone isn't sealing properly and if done by the same Guy that did mine, the drain itself is not seated properly either. Once you get access to it:redface:, you'll find it isn't too hard to fix.

My mirror is reasonably large with a fair amount of access to the back of the helm... enough to get your arm in anyway.

Doug Weiss

Cadet

Do you remember if your drain goes to a thru hull? Mine appears to extend all the way out to the hull. I need to check if it is clogged as well. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will try to remember to take a picture of it and post.

Thanks!

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

G'Day Doug,
From memory... it didn't go to a through hull fitting but made its way to the bilge.
I will check tomorrow.