help with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

bailey1158

Cadet
hello, I recently ordered my lower unit seal kit for my 79 chrysler 85 hp outboard. I have already replaces the seals by the water pump, but now I am stuck at the propeller shaft, how is this removed??? exploded view looks like it is treaded in, is it? or do I need to use a bearing puller to remove it, any help would be great, thank you

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

102_6373.jpg102_6594.jpgIf yours is the one piece lower unit, you remove the prop, take off the anode, and remove the four bolts under it. Then you pull the bearing carrier using a couple of lengths of all-thread threaded rod. Using a drift bar, drive out the old seal.

If you have the two piece lower unit (second photo) You remove the two allen head capscrews and tap the gland sideways a bit so the ears are stiching out. Then gently alternately tap each ear until the gland pops out. Seal is removed from outside to inside. It is smaller than the bearing race so you do not need to remove that.

In either lower unit, the bearing carrier comes out without removing the prop shaft.

The shaft collars are not normally on these lower units. I added them because I am using a couple of non-Chrysler props, modified to fit.

bailey1158

Cadet
Re: help with lower unit on 79 chrysler 85hp please

Thank you so much for all your help! I will give that a shot and let you know, Thanks Frank