Offroading

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
I know you guys are going to love this one...

I know we have a lot of members that offroad... I don't much but have dabbled a little and find it very fun... I want to start modifying my 4runner to make it more capable (my last one had a 2" lift and bigger tires but this one is stock)

I just thought we could discuss mods and share some stories and have some fun (as I'm procrastinating a ton of papers that I have to write :rolleyes:

Ready... Go!!!

bigdee

Commander
Re: Offroading

I used to be into that big time with a Toyota FJ-40 built like a tank, did not need any mods......they don't build utility vehicles like that anymore. Big tires are for macho looks....in this Carolina red mud tall skinny (8") worked the best for me.

YZ165

Seaman

Pirate4x4.com is to off roading, as iboats.com is to boating...

With that said, what year is your 4Runner? I love those trucks, and have built several.

Matt

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I'd love to join another forum but I spend so much time here.. :p

Mine's an '03 limited 4x4 v8..

Between me and dad we've had 12 4runners!! :D

What have you done to them?
irene1.jpg

86 century

Ensign

This old pile is a lot of fun
84 cj7
Chevy 10 bolt front 12bolt rear 4.56 gears spider gears welded on both
34x9.50-15 super swamper tsl's
stock inline 6 4speed dana 300 tcase
This one of our better off road places haspin acres
32446_401419039659_594309659_4012859_2841782_n.jpg

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Pirate4x4.com is to off roading, as iboats.com is to boating...

With that said, what year is your 4Runner? I love those trucks, and have built several.

Matt

Throw him to the wolves!:p

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Offroading used to be the main game for me. That's all on hold for a few more years till my kids get older. 4runners a a great platform. Done everything from stock to mild to full SAS on different runners. Current rigs are a 78a k10 short bed, 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 383 stroker edlebrock fuel injection, 35's, 700r4, np205; detroit front and rear lockers. Just at 500 horse and 500 lbs torque. A class class 5 car, 3 quads, 2 dirt bikes, a tacoma 4x4, and a dodge diesel 4x4: non running project is a 82 toyota p/u. Sold my 94work runner to b-in law, still sits in driveway everyday till he moves out, anf pays for it!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

TOYOTA 4x4, OH YEA!! I've owned an 84 pickup since 85, and a 72 FJ before that. They are great, tough, highly modifiable, vehicles w lots of aftermarket options. My old 84 has been to hell and back several times! and ran 33s its entire life(no pun) I just replaced my orig. trans/ tfcase w nearly 300,000 hard miles on it,(making noise) w a spare w only 140k. My friends have gone through many 4x4s over the years and are amazed I'm still driving mine. Toyota drivetrains and engines are tough and durable and in my case somewhat easy to repair and maintain. I would checkout Yotatech or other Toyota forums for all kinds of advice and recomendations for modifying and repairing yours. There's alot of toyota enthusiasts these days. When I bought mine, right out of HS, My Domestic driving friends scoffed at my "Japanese piece of crap", but they were'nt laughing when they called me to come pull them out of a nasty mudhole!!!. I usually did a lap around their hoplessly stuck rigs asking " how'd you get stuck?" before yanking them out w my little Toy, and could'nt help but needlessly sling mud all over their trucks, or keep yanking on them a few times, after they were unstuck!!:D:D:D The skys the limit w mods you could do. I had 33 15.50 15 Swamper SXs on it for 5 years and it would go anywhere in 2wd w open diffs. I rarely had to engage 4wd while hunting or trail riding. Most mods. will only increase your performance and enjoyment of your 4 Runner.

bigdee

Commander

TOYOTA 4x4, OH YEA!! I've owned an 84 pickup since 85, and a 72 FJ before that. They are great, tough, highly modifiable, vehicles w lots of aftermarket options. My old 84 has been to hell and back several times! and ran 33s its entire life(no pun) I just replaced my orig. trans/ tfcase w nearly 300,000 hard miles on it,(making noise) w a spare w only 140k. My friends have gone through many 4x4s over the years and are amazed I'm still driving mine. Toyota drivetrains and engines are tough and durable and in my case somewhat easy to repair and maintain. I would checkout Yotatech or other Toyota forums for all kinds of advice and recomendations for modifying and repairing yours. There's alot of toyota enthusiasts these days. When I bought mine, right out of HS, My Domestic driving friends scoffed at my "Japanese piece of crap", but they were'nt laughing when they called me to come pull them out of a nasty mudhole!!!. I usually did a lap around their hoplessly stuck rigs asking " how'd you get stuck?" before yanking them out w my little Toy, and could'nt help but needlessly sling mud all over their trucks, or keep yanking on them a few times, after they were unstuck!!:D:D:D The skys the limit w mods you could do. I had 33 15.50 15 Swamper SXs on it for 5 years and it would go anywhere in 2wd w open diffs. I rarely had to engage 4wd while hunting or trail riding. Most mods. will only increase your performance and enjoyment of your 4 Runner.

mommicked, what is your opinion of that 72 FJ? Mine was a ragtop and the toughest stock 4x4 ever. I used mine for everything from off-roading, to pulling stumps to snaking 80' timber logs out of the woods. Dual brake cylinders, full floating axles and REAL military type CV joints. Man! I wish I still had it. That inline six was a copycat of the old GMC engine and parts would interchange with some modification....there was a company in CA called Manofree that actually done that and sold them.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Bigdee, I liked everything except its highway manners w 33 12.50 15s! I replaced everything I could except the steering box that was working fine, dual stabilizers, but the criuser would wander on patched pavement or rutted asphalt at higher speeds, A guy told me they were built for Africa and to have some slop in the steering so every bump or elephant track would not break your thumbs!!It was very tough, My dad and I rebuilt the big six in our house, no garage, and 4 of us carried the motor out the front door hanging from a 4x4!!! It looked more like a tractor engine on the inside, everything was huge or robust. I once was showing off to my new girlfriend flying down a muddy trail, (See RED CLAY;)) when I lost control and we headed strait for a 14" pine. I braced, she screamed,:eek: but when we hit the tree square in the factory bumper, it just knocked it down and we rode up onto the falling tree. It took 5 mins. to get it off the tree going back and forth!!, Bumper had a slight bend but no real damage. Great 4x4. Once I tried to ride up a too steep hill everyone only drove down. As I reached the top It tried to rollover backwards:eek:. All I could see was sky! I punched the clutch and it shot back down the steep slope nearly rolling near the bottom as the heavy motor tried to pass the rest of the truck. I rebuilt all the brakes, including the 8 wheel cylinders and 16 pistons, took 3 days I think:facepalm:. I would definately put disc brakes on one If I get another. The old FJs were built like a tank or heavy equipment. Hard to break anything w the drivetrain.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Throw him to the wolves!:p

HA, good one! I just got that and I've been a member there for 10 years..I guess you just get used to that banter once you've been a member so long. :rolleyes:

You have to admit there are a lot of good tech articles on that site though. Do you belong to any 4runner sites Zop? I would definitely join one If you're looking at some serious mods. I have an early Bronco and joined several like sites when I started building it. You'll find tons of info and pics to help you get through anything you want to do to it.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

HA, good one! I just got that and I've been a member there for 10 years..I guess you just get used to that banter once you've been a member so long. :rolleyes:

You have to admit there are a lot of good tech articles on that site though. Do you belong to any 4runner sites Zop? I would definitely join one If you're looking at some serious mods. I have an early Bronco and joined several like sites when I started building it. You'll find tons of info and pics to help you get through anything you want to do to it.

I was on t4r for a while but cars were never really my thing... I'm from the suburbs and no one really DIY's like I do, so I'm really learning as best as I can.. I've always loved boats though ;)

IDK how serious I'm trying to go, but maybe a lift kit and bigger tires.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I would think a 2" lift and larger tires would make it a great daily driver and good offroad too, when driven sensably there. I know for a fact larger tires give a smoother ride on any vehicle w tires on it!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I used to do alot of offroading when I was in high school. I had several 73-87 Chevy trucks. One of the best was a 79 with a 7" lift and 37" Ground Hawgs. I don't do it anymore because I was breaking to much stuff but I like the look of lifted trucks. I currently have an 07 F150 crew cab with a 2" leveling kit and 35" BFG Mud Terrains. I do alot of pulling so I upgraded to 4.56 gears. It's been in the mud a few times and I have never got close to getting stuck!

bigdee

Commander

Bigdee, I liked everything except its highway manners w 33 12.50 15s! I replaced everything I could except the steering box that was working fine, dual stabilizers, but the criuser would wander on patched pavement or rutted asphalt at higher speeds, A guy told me they were built for Africa and to have some slop in the steering so every bump or elephant track would not break your thumbs!!It was very tough,

Yeah you are correct about the big tires....I guess it screws up the suspension geometry too much. I took mine off and put the stock rims back on and bought the widest and highest profile truck tires with mud tread. In this red clay the monster tires looked cool but the skinny tires would cut though the soft & slick surface and find hard ground. My 4 wheeler buddies would laugh at me but they lost more than one six pack in bets!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would think a 2" lift and larger tires would make it a great daily driver and good offroad too, when driven sensably there. I know for a fact larger tires give a smoother ride on any vehicle w tires on it!

This is what I need.

How much will this affect MPG's, you think? As a broke college kid, I can barely afford gas :eek: