Trim Indicator Issue - Don't Want to Pull the Drive

doehl1

Recruit
I have an Alpha I Gen II Mercruiser sterndrive. Few weeks ago I entered some shallow mud (horrible drought in TX this year) and I think it messed up the trim sender or perhaps the wiring to it. Drive itself is fine and trimming/trailering works fine both up/down operations. After this, trim indicator gauge needle was very jerky during up/down trim operations, and then stopped working all together and needle ended up in the full up/trailer position, regardless of the actual position of the drive, which continues to trim properly. Any suggestions? I haven't found any troubleshooting techniques for this in the Mercruiser Manuals, or even a diagram showing the position sender (they only show trim switch).

I looked at trying to open/remove the sender from the drive, but it looks like I have to take off the drive to do this??? Can't get a screwdriver on the screws as the gimbal ring is in the way. Surely an easier way?

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Trim Indicator Issue - Don't Want to Pull the Drive

Sure, run the wires over the transom!

furn1593

Cadet

I did mine on the bravo 3 without taking off the drive, not recommended but possible. Would have taken a lot less time to totally remove all the parts and do it by the book but I said whats the worst that can happen, I have to take it all apart. When poking around I saw that someone has done it on an alpha. I look around for the thread. Think it was on a checkmate forum.

tpenfield

Staff member

+1 to being able to change the trim sender & limit switch without taking the outdrive off and other stuff apart.