1972 Johnson 25hp questions

Firescooby

Recruit
Motor is supposed to be a 1972 Johnson 25hp (model# 25E72R). I've ordered a service manual also.

I am just getting started on working on this thing. It is/was missing the hose that goes from the motor to gas tank.

I've got some things that I'm not sure what they are, wondering if y'all can help.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Johnson carb unknown.jpg
    Johnson carb unknown.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson motor CONNECTOR 1.jpg
    johnson motor CONNECTOR 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson motor connection.jpg
    johnson motor connection.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson unknown 1.jpg
    johnson unknown 1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Johnson 25hp questions

I can only comment quickly, but pic # 2 is completely normal.

Since I can see a starter sticking up in your carb pic, you do have the makings of an electric start motor there my friend (also the 'E' in the model #). Others will chime in with some specifics. Used to have a 1973 25HP. Solid motors.

lindy46

Captain

The gap is normal. The connector is where you plug in the wiring harness to the remote ignition. The last pic is the choke solenoid.

lindy46

Captain

The choke solenoid? That piston actually comes out pretty easy - the only thing which holds it in is the rubber boot.

Firescooby

Recruit

The choke solenoid? That piston actually comes out pretty easy - the only thing which holds it in is the rubber boot.

Oh...good then!!

Two more questions:

1) Is the fuel line a special type needed for this motor, or will any fuel line work?

2) When I took the fuel pump apart, there was a spring with a little white "nipple". The nipple went flying and is MIA. Can't find anything other than fuel pump assembly on different sites. Am I gonna have to buy a new pump (around $100)?

Ok, three questions: Where does the battery connect?

lindy46

Captain

1) Any Johnnyrude dealer should have that fuel line and fittings. In fact, you can probably pick one up at Walmart - just take the fitting with you to make sure it is correct.

2) I don't see a rebuild kit for that particular fuel pump. You may have to spring for a new one, or look for a good used one on Ebay or AOMCI.org.

3) Did the motor come with a wiring harness/ignition switch? It should plug into that connector on the front of the motor. If you don't have it, you'll probably have to fabricate a new one. Not that difficult to do, once you have the service manual and wiring diagram.