97 cavalier rear drum brakes question.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
my rear drum brakes keep overtighten themselves. I think it is the rear passenger side mostly or maybe just that one. I can spin that star wheel to loosen the shoes and I know they will tighten its self automatically and it will click one notch at a time each time it does, but why does it keep overtightning? there is plenty of shoe material and the drums look to be in good shape inside. I have seen "brake drum self adjusting" kits with the star wheel thing and the little tab that keeps it going only in one direction. Does self adjusting mean the car self adjusts or does it mean self adjusting as in I adjust it as needed? I just cant understand why when I loosen the shoes up so they are not too tight they just after a few days tighten themselves back way too tight. If anyone can help me out Please do. I hope I explained what is happening good enough. Thanks again!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 97 cavalier rear drum brakes question.

??? anyone know bout these auto adjusting drum brakes? I just backed them off again but i know that in about 5 days of back and forth to work the rears will be almost locking up again cause the get so tight. I almost wish they were the old adjust it yourself kind. But there is no window to see the starwheel so you have to take the drum off all the time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

they self adjust everytime you back up, clicking to the next notch only when needed.

basic drum brake self adjusters. been that way since the inception of self adjusting brakes in the 1950's

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

yea but they are over adjusting to the point where the car pulls down from the rear and sometimes the back right wheel will lock up. I can self set the flywheel and its ok but Ill hear a click whenever I step on the brake and its not just when backing up. I hear it adjust anytime I brake and let the brake go. There has to be a spring or something that is the problem. I just dont know.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Have you taken the drums off and looked at the brakes?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Almost sounds like the brake hardware is installed backwards/wrong side/incorrectly, allowing the self adjusters to tighten automatically every time you step on the brakes moving forward!

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Evidently something is not working as designed and the first thing to do is to have another to compare it to you know is assembled as came from the factory or a good clear close up picture of one. Dont forget excessive heat can cause springs to lose their tension and the self adjusting gizmo does work with springs..Also some of the moving parts need a little lubrication to work properly. .

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

When was the last time anyone worked on them?

cribber

Lieutenant

And replace all of the springs on each wheel... it's a cheep fix to the problem you are describing. They don't have enough tension left to stop over adjusting.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Picture? I have worked on many a Cavalier's brake system. Let's see how you have them set up.

NYBo

Admiral

Almost sounds like the brake hardware is installed backwards/wrong side/incorrectly, allowing the self adjusters to tighten automatically every time you step on the brakes moving forward!
Yep!

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

+2^^^^^

That is exactly what I was thinking when I asked him if he had taken the drums off and looked.
I have seen that happen several times. When I did ancient history drum brakes I always made sure to keep left and right seperate.
It's really easy to take all the parts to the solvent tank and get them mixed up!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

either the brakes are installed backwards, or you have a leaking wheel cylinder causing the lock up.

YZ165

Seaman

I think you should get a new rear brake hardware kit($20 at AutoZone). Also, make sure the primary pads are in the right location. If the other side is not having the same issue, I doubt the adjusters are mixed up. Also, if your drums are excessively worn, that could also cause a situation like this. My .02 Matt

dolluper

Captain

star wheels have L or R marked under cup cap incase of mix up if you take cup off to lube you will see the marks...lubers know lol

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

star wheels have L or R marked under cup cap incase of mix up if you take cup off to lube you will see the marks...lubers know lol
This is probably the solution. Leaky wheel cylinders and backwards brakes don't seem plausible. But then, I only worked in automotive for 30 years! :D

dolluper

Captain

Those drums may have a knockout on the face ...if orignal probably not....also there is a ridge on them making it hard to pull off gives a false sence they are to tight....after you adjust they will be tough to install the drums but when you spin the drum it will be bearly making contact.....if your parking brake is set to tight is the another reason I can think is causing your problem......aka seized cable on that side

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

they are in the right wheel and cribber you are right!!! it was a spring that was not holding the shoes together tight enough to keep the auto thing from overtightning. It was $7.99 for every spring that is in both sides and it totally fixed the problem. I knew they were installed in the correct side cause the auto adjustment parts all had a L or a R on them. Thanks cribber!!!!

D

DJ

I saw this back in the early 80's on GM unibodies (X-bodies). Drum brakes are-Drum brakes-Ancient technology but EVERYONE uses them today. Why?-proven and cheap.

Three issues:

1. Brake hardware-backwards.

2. "Belled" drums that move the drum brake shoes inward and never release them.

3. Proportioning valves-stuck, That was RARE! Read=RARE. We had a few.