Bilge pump wiring

BeachRum1962

Cadet
Can someone tell me if the diagram on page 23 of this document http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/kingpumps/RUL-PMP-Standard-Bilge-pump-Manual.pdf is the way to have your bilge pump engage if the float switch is elevated but your battery switch is in the off position? I always thought my pump was wired directly to the battery, even though I have a 3 way switch. So, when I leave my boat in the water, I want to be protected but don't want to leave the battery switch on. I replaced the bilge pump yesterday but wired it the way it was and the pump doesn't engage unless the battery switch is on. I gather I will have to do some wire tracing but can someone explain the correct way to wire through a switch (which is set to auto) but does not require the battery switch on. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Bilge pump wiring

The only thing that should be wired to your battery (outside of the battery switch) is the bilge pump(s).

Here is the wiring for the 3-way switch.

BPD.gif

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bilge pump wiring

I've been using that wiring for years, it works just fine, but it requires you to run another hot wire from the battery to the pump switch panel. You could also run that wire to a hot terminal of a battery switch if you have one. I did it that way because I wanted to be able to turn off the battery switch and isolate all electrics from the battery, but still have the auto function when in the water (pump switch in 'auto'). ;)