Rear axle again

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
2000 Silverado 4x4,5.3L vortec, automatic trans, electric shift transfercase
I replaced the carrier, ring gear, pinion, carrier bearings and pinion bearings about 17,000 miles ago and now it's making an awful racket.
I pulled the cover and the ring and pinion are intact as well as the spider gears. It makes this noise for a couple miles then stops...:confused: It literally stops making the noise. yes the fluid level is up to where it should be, there are no seal leaks, I pulled the drive shaft and have no play in the yolk, and no up down play in the axle shaft that I can feel.

Tire on
[url]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2624886430333

[/URL]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2624830508935&set=vb.1500424835&type=2&permPage=1
Tire off

I'll be tearing into this over Thanksgiving break next week and I am looking for suggestions as to what this awful sound is that is coming from my truck or if any one out there has had a similar sound and what caused it

Thanks T

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rear axle again

Based on your two videos, I'd have to believe you have a wheel issue. Maybe slightly ovaled lug holes? I'm sure you would feel it though driving it.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outer axle bearing, or parking brake rubbing inside of hat. That's my evaluation from far away!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would pull the brakes off and inspect the parking brakes............

That clicking is too metallic from being inside the carrier housing and I bet it is in the brakes/parking brake.

Is that a Z-71? Are you sure the auto locker is working??? and releasing?

dolluper

Captain

+3 brakes....throw a nut on snug then run it ....p brake may be loose inside without nut on ...your rotor has a nice groove eh brake noise also..check backing plate

tswiczko

Outer axle bearing, or parking brake rubbing inside of hat. That's my evaluation from far away!

:facepalm: Boy do I feel stupid. you were right it's the parking brake.

I was currious if it would be that even though I didn't believe it was.

So the next time I drove it I applied the parking brake and lo and behold the noise stopped.

Failproof, and Bobvt you guys saved me a lot of work and head ache and for that I am greatfull.

This has got to be one of the best forums on the www. you can get just about anything answered here.:cool:

thanks for the help everybody

tswiczko

And Bob yes the govlok is working, I goosed it the other day and it made that clunk that govloks make when they lock up and she got a little sideways on me when the y both broke loose.

Thanks again Bob