1985 evinrude 115 cuttingg out at wot

lwood24

Cadet
hello i need some advice on an issue im having with my 1985 evinrude 115 i just recently had new ignition parts installed stator voltage regulator one new power pack and the rectifier but now when i take off it comes up and takes off at wot and boggs down it dosent die if i back the throttel back down to nueturel but some times it will run 2 or three minutes befor it does it but as soon as i back it down to nuetral and take back off it shoots back outta the whole on plane for a minute or two and does it agein it starts up everytime and idels fine i have put all new fuel lines on it and primer bulb and checked the fuel filter on the motor and changed the inline filter i put in it doese have the vro styl fuel pump but the oil side is not in use i pre mix my fuel any suggestion or help is well appreciated

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 evinrude 115 cuttingg out at wot

It sounds like your fuel pump is not keeping up with demand. It sounds like it's kinda weak.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Zephyr. When the engine slows agt WOT-try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carb bowls. If the engine runs fine while you keep priming the hose bulb, you may have a weak fuel pump.

lwood24

Cadet

you think its the fuel pump even though when i get up on plane and the rpms come up it bogs down and will stay there till i back it all the to almost to nuteral and take off right away and it launches right back out of the whole iv tried chokeing it when it bogs down and no differnece and the primer bulb never goes dry but i was talking to guy about it and he said it could be a bad power pack or something in the ignition causeing it to that but im not sure cause it will run about half throttel just fine and sometimes if i run it at half throttel and go all the wide open it wont cut out it will run like nothing is wrong unless the fuel pump is cutting in and out can the vro pump be rebuilt just to use the fuel side as im doing now? if so were can i get a rebuild kit at?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you have a weak fuel pump, it may not be able to supply enough fuel to sustain wide open throttle. It will run fine to top end, then the carb bowls will run out of fuel and the engine will slow till the fuel pump can refill the carb bowls-then take off again. This cycle will repeat over and over. Try priming the fuel hose bulb at WOT. Those VRO pumps are very expensive. ($ 440.) Do some testing to make sure that's the real problem. Bombardier does not make rebuild kits for those pumps-it's a complex pump and can damage the powerhead if not reassembled properly.

lwood24

Cadet

can i just put a normal fuel pump on it cause im already pre mixing my fuel 50:1 so i dont need the vro pump i just need a fuel pump and if soo is there a part number or a certin pump i should get?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your VRO block is designed with a single hose barb to feed the pulse of the VRO pump. The older mechanical (inexpensive) premix pumps have to bolt to the side of the block and utilize the pulses from a drilled hole into the block. Different setup. You can checkout a pump from a 1972 125-that pump should adapt to a the pulse hose setup on your engine.