Rusty gas tank

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
One of the gas tanks on my boat had rusted up inside to the point it began seeping gas out. Is there any treatment I can have done to the tank to fix this?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rusty gas tank

there is a gas tank repair.....but it needs the tank to come out to be done properly.

after the tank is out...you may as well replace it

airshot

Rear Admiral

There are many coatings that can be used in fuel tanks, however a boat is one place I would not use them. The risk of a leak is far to great. Getting them replaced is by far the safest fix.
Todays plastic tanks must pass tests that are more strict than for metal tanks. I have been involved in that industry for some years and if you see the tests for the different materials you will want either a plastic or aluminium tank. Testing on steel tanks are the least ridged of all the materials. Best of luck to you.

Airshot

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I found the tank I want to use, what about the fuel sender? How does the match up with the gauge work? I know the old tank didn't work, but I tested the gauge and it worked, but will the sender be different?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I found the tank I want to use, what about the fuel sender? How does the match up with the gauge work? I know the old tank didn't work, but I tested the gauge and it worked, but will the sender be different?

Senders are USUALLY standard.