95 - 120 Force Carb acquisition

95Bayliner

Seaman
Hey y'all!! I need to know if anyone knows where to acquire a 120HP Force top carb. - OEM part number TC-119A. I've been checking different sites and most have the part listed as obsolete and do not list an alternative. I've found a few listed on Ebay but wanted to know if anyone knows anywhere else I can purchase the top carb?

I have a 1995 Force 120HP. Does anyone know if the 93 and 96 models are compatible? Also, is the top and bottom carb the same except for the bowl?

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95 - 120 Force Carb acquisition

It is difficult to say if the carbs are different: At one point, I don't remember what years, Force did use different sized jets in the upper and lower carb.

Carbs should be interchangeable from year to year with the proviso that you change both carbs as a set.

Aside from jet sizes--if your carbs do have different jet sizes, the only other differences between the top and bottom carbs are the fuel bowl for the enrichment valve, the fuel inlet fittings--Tee on the bottom and Ell on the top, and the cam roller on the bottom carb.

Strange that this question should come up: Just Friday I found a couple of TC 119 carbs I didn't know I had. I had cleaned them and put them in a bag then put them in a "safe" place.

But, I would want your first born son for them. You probably could do better elsewhere. besides, by now they are most likely in the "safe" place again and it would take me a month to find them. LOL

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 1998 90hp and i was in your same situation. After two years of looking i found a set of carbs on e-bay for $70 vs $250 a piece new from merc dealer. They were off a 1991 and i just double checked the jetting between all 3 and they worked great. So if you can find a matching set of the newer style carbs without the choke mechanism it will work.....i have the proof in my driveway. good luck

dave

95Bayliner

Seaman

Strange that this question should come up: Just Friday I found a couple of TC 119 carbs I didn't know I had. I had cleaned them and put them in a bag then put them in a "safe" place.

But, I would want your first born son for them. You probably could do better elsewhere. besides, by now they are most likely in the "safe" place again and it would take me a month to find them. LOL

LOL... You're crazy Frank. I'll happily trade you my first born son whenever I have him. Put that little b*stard to work!! hahha... I often do the same thing about hiding things too good to be found, even from myself.

Let me know if you have a change of heart and want to get rid of them.

I'll be sure to purchase a set if they differ from my particular model. Do you know if there's suppose to be a mesh/cotton/or some kind of filter on the front opening of the carb besides the black housing held in by 3 screws? Seems like any debris could easily make it's way in. Hope that's not a silly question.

95Bayliner

Seaman

Thanks for chiming in. Glad things worked out for you, gotta love ebay. What exactly did you do to double check the jet settings? Do you mean you ensured the carb jet and bolt holes aligned the same as the originals so you know they'll fit your motor?

Your words are encouraging. I'll probably grab the set off ebay.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_6082.jpgTo check jet size: Remove the fuel bowls. At the bottom of the casting, down near the bowl retaining screw, on the side opposite the float hinge and inlet needle will be a small brass jet. Stamped on the face of it will be the size----for example, 0937, 094, 096 098 etc. You may need a magnifying glass to see them. I use a jewelers loupe.

These high speed jets serve to LIMIT the amount of fuel delivered at full throttle. Since they are sized to accomodate the fuel delivered by the low speed needle, it is important that 1. they are clean, 2. they are not damaged, and 3. the low speed needles are set correctly. see FAQs on how to correctly set low speed needles.

Since there is assumed to be no dirt on the water, there is no filter attached to either carb.

The black plastic covers serve to contain "spit-back" from the carbs. The reeds can remain open about .010 when closed and since they don't react as quickly as the engine RPM they may not close fully at high RPM. Additionally, (in your engine) each carb services only two cylinders. Thus, airflow is "pulsing" not steady as one might assume. Because of these factors, there is a small amount of reflux, or backflow through the carbs. This backflow would spread gas and oil all over the inside of the hood if not contained in some way. The black plastic covers (or in my case the red plastic covers) do this.