Coleman Lantern model 285 issues

I have a coleman lantern that I have had since I was a scout, and it has never really worked right. It doesn't stay lit long and seems dim/yellow to me. There is unleaded fuel in there now (its a dual fuel lantern).

Trouble (according to internet research and coleman's website) seems to be a faulty generator. Has anyone had any luck cleaning/repairing a generator on one of these things? When I turned the gas on after pumping it up I could hear a weak sputtering sound. I took off the generator, took off the little tip and sprayed it with carb cleaner, and it seemed to work a little better, having a little smoother "hiss" sound, but still doesn't stay going long, though there is some improvement.

This thing never worked quite right, and I would be grateful if I could get it cleaned/working.

I know I should just replace the generator, but it is almost 20 bucks shipped and a special order item, and would take a bit to get here. I am hoping to be able to try something with the old one first before I make an order.

Thanks!

Scott

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Coleman Lantern model 285 issues

Yes have cleaned them, it is easy enough if you have a propain torch but need to be careful. They work off heat so the longer it i lit the better. I have always used camping fuel in my coleman stuff (stoves, and lanterns). Take gen apart and heat wire inside hot lower part hotter than wire tip as it can melt. It is easier to just replace the gen, but hard to find. My coleman lanters vary in age have one that is about 100 years old with a currly q gen more of a mantel peice. Make sure you pump tight really tight when you light, leave air mix rich till warms up, (have oe that sounds like a jet taking off but last about 12 hours on a tank of fuel).

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Generally speakin',... Crud/ Bad fuel causes the generator to go Bad..

How's the Tank/ Fuel look,..??

Tank and fuel look good. I should probably try fresh fuel, but this has made no difference in the past. This lantern has seen very little use as it has never really worked right. The tank looks fine. I'm pretty sure that I have coleman fuel in there from trying it this summer now that I think about it.

I only got the end unthreaded off the generator... does it come apart further than that? If so, how? I don't think I can adjust the air mixture on this one.

Thanks,

Scott

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yup those older coleman lanterns can be a little tricky at times.
If I remember right you had to pre heat the generator alittle bit more when using the pump gas feature.
(the generator is to take the liquid fuel and attomize it into a fine mist through preasure and heat)

If back in the day you used leaded fuel you may find that the generator is fauled up, remove it and disasemble the spring thingy and the tip rod thingy from the generator tube, inspect for build up crud/carbon ETC.
you can clean the tip with a brillo pad, just pull it through slowly, an eraser works great for removing carbon build up as well.

On the bottom of were the globe rests there are the air inlets, ensure these are not plugged

I would suggest you stick with good old naptha from now on, not as finnicky and alot cleaner burn.

lantern.jpg

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you know where an Amish area is that would be a good sorce to find parts. Another Idea is look on Lehman's website.

Thanks for the info guys. I am actually getting interested in possibly restoring an old one. It has been fun taking this one apart and seeing how it works and how simple it really is. I did order a new generator, hopefully that corrects the issues I have been having with this. Seems that maybe the generator was defective from the beginning.