Erie Canal local knowledge needed...

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need some direction for a multi-day trip on and around the Erie Canal. Our group, the Columbus Sail & Power Squadron, is just beginning the process of planning next years major cruise...One of the ideas was to do part of the Erie with some side trips to the finger lakes. Here's what I'd like to find out....1. What area shoud be our base....to go out for a day trip and then return to lodging (most of our members need a hotel at night.) or 2. what route would you suggest with say three nights of lodging stops...is there anyone element that we absolutely must seee? In the past we've cruised Georgian Bay Small Craft channel, Trent-Severn, Ohio River in both directions from Cincy....etc. Sure would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

sasto

Captain
Re: Erie Canal local knowledge needed...

Hi ****,

I've made the trip from Waterford to Oswego almost a dozen times. We were unable to cover the whole Erie due to low clearance fixed bridges. We stayed onboard, but I did visit every town we stopped at. Not much around as far as accomodations, as I recall. Waterford is a nice town to stay. Troy is not far and they had a mucipal dock you can use for the day. One of my favorite stops was Troy, I liked the Brewery and Cafe, a stones throw away from the dock.

It's been about 4 years since I was last there. I'll get out the log book and take a look at it.

sasto

Captain

I now see your from Ohio......Guess your more inclined to travel the west end. I did stop at Buffalo several times waiting for Lake Erie to settle down. Nice public Marina. Up the Niagra River are a few marinas and some good waterfront dining. We had a local liveaboard boater loan us his car for a ride to the Falls. I found the people there to be very friendly.

Good Luck!

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey ****,
I live in Baldwinsville, NY at lock 24. The lock is right in the village. The wall before the lock is a great place to stop. There are shore power/water hookups. A small island with amphitheater that has live music in the summer. A nice hotel called the Red Mill Inn overlooks the lock and waterfall on the river side. All the restaurants, bars, and stores are walking distance. From lock 24 west you pass thru Cross lake on your way to Cayuga and Seneca Lakes. They are the only Finger lakes you can get into via the canal. The others you would have to trailer to. The strech from lock 24 west has a 35 mph speed limit except for a few spots. So you can make good time from the lock to Seneca lake. Other sections of the Canal are No Wake zones. They have goods charts available that show all of the bridge and overhead clearences that Sasto was refering to.