ITS HOME!! 1973 Starcraft Islander

jfccac

Cadet
Well...spent most of the day driving....hoping the 40 year old trailer would hold up for the 200 mile trip.

I'm beat.

I did, however, make a video for you starcraft masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q20tpmbnZgE

the skinny is...

the hull and interior is better than i expected. The motor maybe setup...not sure yet.

I will have TONS of questions...I hope you guys won't mind helping me out.

Let the games begin...starcraft5.jpgstarcraft3.jpg

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ITS HOME!! 1973 Starcraft Islander

Really nice boat .. hope she runs for yah.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice, What ya end up payin for her? If ya don't mind me asking anyways.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Excellent and good looking boat!
Welcome to the brethren

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jf - looks like a good find. Hope the motor isn't in too bad a shape. Welcome to the drydock.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Making a 400 mile round trip for an old tinny means one thing.................you's got da feva!!

Just do one thing. Get rid of that screen door they used on houses back in the 70's.................lol

Nice find. Hope the I/O ends up working for you so you can concentrate on the fun stuff.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat! Looking forward to following your project.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome and congratulations. Please ask questions, please start a restoration thread and please post pictures. "I hope you guys won't mind helping...", whether you want our help or not here it comes.

Nice looking boat, yea we can fix her up.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

MAN!!! I been looking for something like that!!! You wanna sell it for 8?!!! lol Good luck with it. I will help in any way I can and so will the rest of us iboaters.

jfccac

Cadet

I'm up early and ready to rock.

Today's plan is to get the boat cleaned out (hit it with shop vac) so it's a bit easier to find botls/nuts I'll inevitably drop. :)

I think I'll also try to figure out why the rest of the boat is not getting any power. I've a hunch the circuit breaker is bad.

Does anyone know if the Power trim/tilt is on a separate circuit from the rest of the boat (ignition/lights/horn)?

Of course, the motor not turning over is NOT a good thing. I'll also keep the 'PB saturation plan' in effect.

Thanx for the encouragement!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are most welcome here as part of the Sarmada! You started off very well with pics AND a vid. Some of us would love to be in your shoes right now since you don't find tin cuddys often on the East coast.

Get a resto thread going. You'll get our help weather you want it or not. :D

If that IO isn't workin out for you how about converting to OB?

Congrats!!
Mike

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure for I/O, but with O/B a separate harness runs from the controls to the trim motor/pump and also a black/red to the house battery, usually. Use a multimeter for continuity testing.

I took pictures when I dismantled certain items, and I also used ziplock lunchbags labeled with removed hardware, for instance, Port console hardware.

jfccac

Cadet

well...there's bad news

The motor is locked up...real tight

cylinders 4/5/6 all rusted up. I pulled the head and ..YUCK!

So...decision time.

Do i stick with the 165...do something different (4.3 or 5.0) ...or go outboard.

thoughts???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jf - Rats on the motor :mad: For questions about motor and/or replacement and the trim/tilt stuff - post over in the Mercruiser forum. Those guys are good! They can even tell if the motor can be saved. If you do need to get a another motor, scour Craigs List for a donor boat (glassers do have a purpose :rolleyes:) or motor. Good luck.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well jf, that stinks!

A good running I6 replacement would be really nice. A 140 would be easy on the fuel bill. A 4.3 would be sweet but you'd have engine mount fab challenges to work through. An OB on a bracket would be the bomb but $$.

So, pick your poison eh!

Take a look at the first section of my Islander thread and you'll see I wrestled with this decision a whole bunch! Course you don't have the giant hole to deal with that I did.

Have fun!

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

jf - Rats on the motor :mad: For questions about motor and/or replacement and the trim/tilt stuff - post over in the Mercruiser forum. Those guys are good! They can even tell if the motor can be saved. If you do need to get a another motor, scour Craigs List for a donor boat (glassers do have a purpose :rolleyes:) or motor. Good luck.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/2689855028.html