35 HP Johnson, sunk motor recovery

mnsherick

Cadet
My boat and motor sunk recently and I've just recovered them.

To make a long story short we got blown over in the wind.

Boat and motor were submerged for about 72hrs.

Boat and motor have been out of the water for about 72hrs.

Question for the iboats brain trust;

Do you think there is hope for this motor?

425767db-e68d-9d20.jpg

425767db-e773-a5c5.jpg

425767db-e79b-bde9.jpg

425767db-e80a-bff4.jpg

425767db-e82a-e8c8.jpg

425767db-e847-9e15.jpg

I've currently got the motor torn down to the block and cleaned out all the mud/water I could get....lubed the cilynder walls/pistons very well with done TWC3.

2 issues I'm not sure how to address....

1) what should I do with the lower unit besides drain/flush and refill with gear lube?

2) on the block I have 3 bolts that rusted into the block and broke off 1 has a stud still protruding the other 2 broke off flush...they are rusted pretty badly. This its all on the "side cover" where the exhaust dumps into the lower unit.

-Matt

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 35 HP Johnson, sunk motor recovery

All I can say is. Oooooh boy. The situation looks pretty grave. You can probably clean it up and salvage the block, but there's a good chance that the bearings are all water marked now. Yea, I'm afraid that this one will require a tear down. If you submerge one and get it running within minutes, that's good, but if it's been under for 72 hours and been out for 72 hours, then a lot of water damage may have been done. Interesting enough though, the pistons and cylinders look like they could be saved, but it'll have to be completely torn down and cleaned up, before any rust sets in.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I would completely tear down every part ASAP! Get them in oil to prevent rusting.

Was it lost in a river? Lake? Seems like a lot of fine mud??

I think you can save it...but it will require work. Fun work by the way!

Mas

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it was salt water, put it out to the curb for the trash man. You had 24 hours MAX to get it torn down and cleaned up.

Fresh water?? Same thing, but give you a few more hours.

No need to mess with the lower unit, it gets submerged every time you use it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If infact the powerhead is toast from this incedent, just buy a good used powerhead and bolt it on. You'll be back in business inside of a day. Powerheads from this model should be obtainable for a decent price that won't break your wallet, but it won't hurt to look over the powerhead you have and see what is salvageable.

mnsherick

Cadet
Everything is torn down cleaned and lubed up.

Taking the block over to my machine shop to have the 3 broken bolt studs removed and re tap the block first thing tomorrow.

-Matt

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk