16' Sea ray jet Boat

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I might buy a Sea Ray f16. Does anyone know how these boats are or is there anything to look out for?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea Ray f16

i think you mean a bayliner f16. sea ray starts at 17.

what year are we talking about?

i like the new bayliners.....just make sure they are kept covered and dry....you will be good

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I mean the 1997 sea ray f16 jet boat with a 120hp mercury jet drive

oops!

Supreme Mariner

let me check....hang on......

but off the top .....that will be a wooden transom and deck . the stringers will be glass over foam. weight the boat against manufacture specs to check for water logging

other than that, searay makes a great boat

oops!

Supreme Mariner

cant find any thing any where on it....going to the searay owners forum....hang on

oops!

Supreme Mariner

cant get in to the owners forum right now......but again....if the boat is well cared for....you should have no problems

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

let me check....hang on......

but off the top .....that will be a wooden transom and deck . the stringers will be glass over foam. weight the boat against manufacture specs to check for water logging

Nope... there is no structural wood in that boat.

Its a typical mid 90's sportjet based boat. They all were almost identical, with slightly different interiors. I don't know for sure, but I'd even wager that searay didn't make it, they probably bid the work out to a different unnamed company that already had those hull molds, and then did their own sole/interior.

I'd personally not recommend a sj 90/95/120 boat to anyone anymore. The engines are getting up there in age, and parts availability is a little tricky. They all have some Chrysler/Force DNA in them, the 90/95's more so than the 120's. (I've owned boats with all 3 engines) If the engine goes out, you will very likely be left with a worthless hull that you can't repower with anything.

I'd keep shopping until you find a sj175 powered boat. The 175 and larger are VERY reliable engines, probably merc's best 2 stroke ever made. (they are based on the black max 2.5l block) The F16's did actually come with those also, complete rocket ship! (as well as other manufacturers that used the sj175's, sugar sand & seadoo in particular)

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We had one for 2 years, it was more exciting on the trailer then the water...

The 120 HP felt like 40, and is a 2 stroke. The jet really robbed any power, the real disapointments were that it would get stuck in every weed patch, WAY worse then any Sea Doo/ Yamaha product! No way to unclog unless you went swimming and didnt have any device to drop the weeds. I started to only go out on warm days for that reason but final straw was it clogged, overheated, and even after unclogging it it didnt re-start for a day, I was out at night and needed to strip down to jump in... Struck me as a real safety flaw and dangerous.

It made for a good docking station when out with some PWC's, it lost ALL power and would fall off plane going into turns so I learned to make very wide ones.

It was just a real disapointment of a boat, but it seems mid-late 90's everyone had a jet. I recommend anything with a prop over that boat:(

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice everyone. The one I am looking at a is a 1997 but it has a new power head that was installed in 2009 with only 9.4 hours on it. The boat is being sold from a marina and they have gone over everything. They said that is costs the previous owner five grand for the new power head to be installed. I am just worried about the availability of parts for the motor. The power head that was installed was re manufactured. Should I be worried about that? I am only 15 and don't really need a rocket. I will use the boat on lake hopatcong nj where it is really rough and there are big boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I took a look at one not to long ago. was really dissapointed in the lack of performance of the 120 sportjet compared to a few of the seadoo jet boats that I have used.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a look at one not to long ago. was really dissapointed in the lack of performance of the 120 sportjet compared to a few of the seadoo jet boats that I have used.
Well the sea doo speedster 150 offers either a 155, 215, or 255hp engines. There is a huge power difference

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

like i mentioned, that exact same hull came with a little 4 cylinder 120 hp, or a 175 v6 merc... yeah, you can probably guess the 120 is underpowered! The 175 will put it into high 50's/low 60's.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like i mentioned, that exact same hull came with a little 4 cylinder 120 hp, or a 175 v6 merc... yeah, you can probably guess the 120 is underpowered! The 175 will put it into high 50's/low 60's.
I don't need or want a boat that goes in the 60's. Will the 120 push it over 35mph? If so that is
enough. Should I be concerned that they put a re manufactured powerhead into the boat in 2009 rather than a new power head?

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't need or want a boat that goes in the 60's. Will the 120 push it over 35mph? If so that is
enough. Should I be concerned that they put a re manufactured powerhead into the boat in 2009 rather than a new power head?

It will do better than 35 MPH. Here's a VIDEO of a guy with a 90 HP SeaRayder hitting 37 MPH with his.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I actually just watched that a minute before I checked this thread out again. That was the 14' er but it had the 90 sport jet in it. I am just concerned about finding parts for this motor. Do you think I should not have any problems with the engine if a new power head was installed a year ago and the motor only has 9.4 hours on it?

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see you've asked several time about concerns with the reman powerhead. Sorry I don't have an answer and sorry no one has answered that particular question yet. Do you know of any reputable marine mechanics in your area? You could ask them if you know of any. You could also google parts for it and see what turns up. Maybe you can find someone to go check it out with you and check compression, etc and take it on a run. It would be worth paying a mechanic $100 - $200 to go with you, if that was your only option. What kind of areas would you be boating in? As mentioned earlier, jets can be a real pain around grass, weeds, etc.. If those kinds of areas aren't a problem where you are it could be a fun boat for you if everything is good with it. I would be concerned that it needed a new powerhead after only 2 yrs. That alone would cause me to look elsewhere.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

any body got a pic of one of these critters?.......cant find anything on them

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that is a sea doo.....bombardie type hull....