Harbor Freight Paint Sprayer/ Air Compressor

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Harbor Freight Paint Sprayer/ Air Compressor

That doesn't appear to be enough compressor for the gun.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With the compressor you just have to make sure that it will keep up with the gun. Just look at the specks for the gun for the air consumption. What are you painting? I would just guess that the better quality you are looking for the more you are going to pay.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

What size compressor would i need then? What would you suggest for a gun then? I would be painting some small boats and a trailer or two and just whatevers around the house. Nothing too major.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Any suggestions on a gun?

bigdee

Commander

Any suggestions on a gun?

That gun will work fine for general purpose use using oil base paints and stains. I have painted cars,trucks,cabinets,trailers and decks with mine.

mscher

Lieutenant

These paint guns work fine. They are better quality than the old "Buffalo" paint guns, which I painted many vehicles, with Imron, without spraygun related issues.

The compressor is too small, as others have stated.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

I love the cheap harbor freight paint guns. I usually stock up 3-4 of them when they are on sale for $9-14 (during the big sales where they are already on sale and then you have a super coupon and a 20% coupon lol.

I consider them toss away guns. I use them for oil based paints etc. something always ends up clogged. I'll just soak em all and toss the parts that are fubar in my recycle pile until I'm down to one gun and parts and then go buy some more.

I will say their other guns like the HVLP guns work really well for painting cars, etc if you know how to set them up. oh and yeah, you need more compressor. I'd honestly suggest a minimum of a 60 gallon tank and make sure to get a water separator and an inline filter.

plus once you spring for the bigger tank you can use air tools, etc. sanding with air is tits.

dolluper

Captain

ANY AIR eqippment l@@k at CFM 's @90 lbs if it's under 5 CFM's you have nothing won't work, air sanders ,continuios painting,air driling needs about 8+ cfm's @ 90lbs below forget about it

gjmsd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I buy a lot of the Harbor Freight guns and love them. If they get ruined, I'm not out much and they do a good job. As far as compressors, get the best you can. I use a 3.5 hp 20 gallon one and that really is not enough. I lent it out once and had to paint a boat using a small 1.5 hp model I had in reserve and spent most of the time waiting for the compressor to catch up. Very frustrating and that was with a HVPL gun.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

HVLP guns take lots of CFM but spray at a very low pressure. Not sure where all that air goes. Never did get a good explanation.

Just be sure to reduce the pressure at the gun, not at the compressor.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as others stated that compressor wont cut it! , it you are spraying paint you will be ok with that gun but it will not give good results if you plan on spraying gel coat the nozzle (1.7mm) is too small! home depot has some real nice on a budget paint guns HVLP for around $60 but check on ebay i found the same gun as home depot where it was a 2 gun combo for about $45. I would not recomend regelcoating a boat unless you have all the right equipment and experience doing it, Just finished 2 boats and it was hell....didn't quite have the right equipment which results in about a billion hours sanding. painting with a good marine paint or for projects around the house you could get by with that gun but need a bigger compressor to get enough volume of air....good luck

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was at Harbor Freight today. If you can wait, do not BUY until AFTER THANKSGIVING. They always have great deals on the larger items on the DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING.