Pulley issue...

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
So, I am winterizing my boat today. I start by running the engine to warm up the oil (with muffs). I notice a small amount of water spraying up into the air by the movement of the belts. I begin inspecting to find where the water is coming from with no luck so I shut off the engine. There is water dripping from my circulating pump pulley. The pulley does have bow to stern play in it, approx 1/8". Could the play in the pulley mean there could be a leak there, or is that impossible. What is involved in replacing the circulating pump pulley? And, does this mean that my idea is correct that I need a whole new circulating pump assy? If so what is involved in replacing that?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pulley issue...

The pulley does have bow to stern play in it, approx 1/8".

You need a new circulation pump.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

Double check part number...
5.0 GL Volvo

Circulator pump #3854017?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Without a full model number or serial number on your engine, I wouldn't even consider looking for a part number

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

Without a full model number or serial number on your engine, I wouldn't even consider looking for a part number

Finally got around to getting in the boat to get the numbers...
There are two sets of numbers..
and

5.0 Volvo Penta GI

ckalupa

Seaman

scrit9mm - common issue. Had to replace both on my twin 5.7GSI - replace the water pumps and it goes away.