need an idea of what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the spring after my sailboats all squared away and in the water sailing. i was thinking about restoring the 1968 chrysler. i know a few things that need to get done. but first of all is this boat worth restoring? by restoring it i mean the hole ten yard. taking the cap off, new transom, stringer, deck, refinishing the gell coat or at least getting the house paint off it. Fixing the motor.
The real question is it even worth it to do this? i mean yes i would have a good working boat after that but should i spend my time and money on this boat just to restore it. please help me out here with advise.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: need an idea of what to do.

Brutha,

It's going to cost thousands of dollars to restore that boat to the " whole nine yards " level you speak of... Unless you love this boat, use that cash for something that will directly benefit your life. Make improvements on the sail boat... Or save for a solid motor boat... Put some cash away for school...

But if you love the boat then do what you must...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I personally would look for a boat with more room in it, or modify that one from a closed bow to open. There's a thread on how to do that in the resto section.

You're already supposed to have that motor running, you said you were going to start on it next week 2 months ago... but I'm pretty sure that motor is shot and would need a major overhaul that you won't be able to do, and you'll have to put it in the shop for that and the price won't be worth it.

All in all, I'd say your boat isn't really worth fixing and you should look for another... or stick to sailing.

ok i kinda figured that maybe i will just get rid of the chrysler. and ask to buy my niebhors 14 motor boat skiff. it's a fiberglass boat thats bin sitting for 3 years upside down on the beach. it hold up to a 10 hp or a 20 not sure as of right now i will ask him next time i talk to him i could take the stuff from the chrysler and put it on the other boat. like vhf, compass, fishfinder, stuff like that. ill ask him about the boat and sailing it my thing. but i do like speed on the days that theres no wind.

shrew

Lieutenant

SBL, nice job on a well drafted posts. I would look into what that boat is actually worth in Good condition. Meaning, structurally sound, everything working, including the motor. Then I would look into what it would actually cost to get the boat to that condition, including the motor. I would bet that when all is said and done, the boat will still be worth less than what you've invested into it, not including the time and labor. If you're looking to get 20 years of ownership out of it, that would be one thing. You then have to ask yourself, how long are you going to reasonably own the boat? It would be another thing if you were restoring a truly classic boat that would become a collectible. I'm not sure your boat falls into that category either.

NYBo

Admiral

Boat restoration can be one of two things: an investment in a "diamond in the rough" that can be flipped at a profit (a very iffy proposition), or a labor of love. Yours would clearly be the latter. You will NEVER get back, in monetary terms, what you put into it, and that's just the materials. But the time you spend crafting the boat can be worthwhile and highly satisfying in and of itself. You have to decide for yourself if that works for you.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

short answer, No.

longer answer: never, no way, negative, not a chance, NFW, n.o., absolutely not. trashed hulls in better shape are free; you don't have to undo your mistakes (just don't pick one up that was restored by an incompetent) and probably won't have to go as deep.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i saw lil red........it only needs a transom and stringers.......you could put stringers between the bulkheads and replace the transom..i dont think it would cost that much at all...at least then the boat would be sea worthy. you are only probably talking 300 in materials.....max

however.....first rule of thump in any restoration , get the motor running or you dont have a project.

after your done......you are not going to be able to sell it for a lot of money....just because its an older boat.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Here is my opinion, hopefully you wont take offense.

Fix and sell or get rid of the motor and trailer, scrap the hull and start fresh. Personally, especially knowing how you want to maybe start making money with a boat, I think you would be better off down this path.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Friend I will offer my advice based on many years of experience. Before you buy anything like a boat or car etc,first ask yourself exactly what it is you want from a boat. Then look around and compare the prices of what it will take to get it. Look ahead several years and consider what kind of money it will or could take to keep it in service so you have a long term plan in place. The boat you are thinking about is a very poor choice or at least it would be for me. Now is a good time to look around so take your time and you wont regret it.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

put a motor on the sailboat and scrap the chrysler.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One reason I prefer the tinnys is because even a real old one can be made ship shape for a fraction of the cost of an older glass that has been neglected. Unless you like messing with the glass and many people do put your work into the mechanics involved with fixing up an old tinny. You will be ridin the waves a lot quicker too.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Most restored cars sell for a fraction of what there restoration cost but to the owner having that car in pristine condition is worth it so if you want to restore it to sell then no it isn't worth it but if you want to do it because you love the boat and want to use it for years the yes.

ill probally just scrap this boat take the registration from it and put it on another boat that doens't have a title. so i can get a boat cheaper because it doens't have a title

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

ill probally just scrap this boat take the registration from it and put it on another boat that doens't have a title. so i can get a boat cheaper because it doens't have a title

Wow! Guess you haven't learned a darn thing here have you? That's illegal!

Doesn't matter if everybody else does it. Doesn't matter if its cheaper. Remember all the good advice you got about insurance and liability and stuff like that.

It really doesn't matter about how good or bad a boater you are. In the end your most important attribute is your honesty and integrity.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Oh yeah, that's a good thing to announce on a public forum.:rolleyes:

just kiding i wouldn't do that. i will just ask my neibhor for his 14' boat thats bin sitting on the beach. it has 3 bench and thats it. And no us coastguard capicty plate so how would i know the motor rating for it?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a bunch of pics and show them here! There's enough experience here to likely ID the hull, or at least give you a good idea of maximum HP for the hull. Depends on how wide, deep, and heavy it is.
Good luck with the project however you decide to go! Just make sure to keep it legal!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

get the chrysler running....first

Status
Not open for further replies.