Help with purchasing decision: Exhaust manifolds!

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi gang. Well, I made the ugly discovery of fine cracks at the bottom of both my manifolds the other day, and am prepared to spend mo' money on my aging tub as opposed to JB welding and risking a blown (new) engine or wet bilge. I have looked at all of the offerings, and already know that I DO NOT want to spend mega-bucks on the OEM Mer-crazy manifolds! :eek: I'm considering aftermarkets. Since I would like to spend $ here on iboats, can anyone offer me an opinion on the Sierra brand manifolds. Are they crafted by 10 year olds on an anvil in China, or are they a decent, reliable part for a fair price? I would appreciate comments from folks who have successfully purchased and used these critters. Here is the item in question.

http://www.iboats.com/Exhaust-Manif...5230265--**********.379110170--view_id.222132

Thanks for indulging me!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Help with purchasing decision: Exhaust manifolds!

I just (yesterday) received new manifolds and risers for my Mercruiser 7.4L . They are "Barr" brand, made in USA. Upon inspection they look very good, better than most. I would stick with either Osco or Barr. I stayed away from Sierra, because I thought that they would be GLM brand, which is sourced from china. Quality on those has not been good according to many reports.

I did not check out the iBoats store too much, but you can get a set of Barr or Osco manifolds (and risers if needed) at a good price from www.ebasicpower.com

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I have no personal expirence with these, but I asked a similar question not too long ago, and from a cost standpoint, this place beats pretty much everywhere else I checked. The guy who recommended them says he's been using a set for years with no issues.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pr...iser-43L-Painted-EK-MERC-43L-NC-NS,75395.aspx

That's a link to a complete set with risers, hardware, etc., but you can bounce around to find what you need. However, if the manifolds are gone, good chance the risers could use a replacement too - you'll have to decide.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I would hate to steer anyone away from the iboats store... but I have ordered from here with good success. They sell either individual parts or a complete set with risers, etc. The link above is for a complete set for only $409.95. You can call them and ask what brand they are. Last set I ordered from them was Osco and I was very pleased with the quality.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barr.......... but buy the OEM gaskets!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Buddy Barr castings are the OEM castings for most of the engine companies. you cant go wrong with Barr Manifolds.

A set of Imco power-flow manifolds would be a great set of aluminum manifolds, however they are a bit pricey.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have no personal expirence with these, but I asked a similar question not too long ago, and from a cost standpoint, this place beats pretty much everywhere else I checked. The guy who recommended them says he's been using a set for years with no issues.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pr...iser-43L-Painted-EK-MERC-43L-NC-NS,75395.aspx

That's a link to a complete set with risers, hardware, etc., but you can bounce around to find what you need. However, if the manifolds are gone, good chance the risers could use a replacement too - you'll have to decide.

I looked at the 'perfprotech' site for manifolds, but I found their kit pricing confusing. The price for the GM big block manifolds looked really low, and then when I went to order them, it looked like the kit price was only for 1 side, so I'd have to get qty = 2, (and double the price). I also could not figure out what brand they were. So, I played it safe and got what I knew were Barr brand elsewhere. (just my 2 cents)