mechanics rates>>>?? WOW

vonway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well heres the deal.. kinda got screwed ( I THINK)<br />had my mechanic come out and go for a drive on the boat, and he suggested that he was sure it was the antisiphon valve.. so we go back to dock and he pulls up the floor to get the antisiphon off and seems to be ok.. tries running without to see if it corrects the problem.. no go.. so as we float out on the lake pondering what it could be.. the fuel pump?? well , I suggest the carburator fuel filter..( he says no.. usually that wouldnt cause the problem you are having. I say "I have a spare on the boat in my toolbox.. lets try and see (cant hurt.. ) So we change the filter and just as he pulls it out, he says" OH YEAH heres the problem... the paper type filters are junk. So he installs my spare part, and we run the boat.. What do you know.. PROBLEM SOLVED>>> no sht. Now i bet he feels dumb. So we pull back in the marina and he tidys up his toos and so on.. goes to W Marine to get a replacement antisiphon valve (cuz he broke the original, Comes back and installs it.. and then says , you know i am going to have to charge you something.. (total time on my boat=1 hour.. ) He claims 1.5 hrs of labor $75 and $20 parts... (WHAT??) I diagnosed the problem and had the part on hand. He replaced the antisiphon cause he broke it... And on top of it He gouged me on the part..said it was $20- (I went to west marine after and saw that it was only $13. And west marine is about two minutes from my marina. What a dic... i feel i got ripped off. OH well (LIVE AND LEARN) what are your thoughts... THANKS

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: mechanics rates>>>?? WOW

He spent an hour on your boat... he drove to W Marine on his time in his vehicle... Sure, he replaced the antisiphon valve that broke... sometimes old corroded parts break.... no one will touch an old boat if they're responsible for every worn out part they come across...<br />Conclusion: $95 is cheap. Thank him and be on your way.

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

He should be paid for the time on your boat as you asked him to check it out. The real thing that you learned was that you can troubleshoot and find the minor problems yourself. Priceless!!!!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If he wasn't on your boat (at your request), he could have been on someone else's boat earning a living. Pay him and be thankfull he is around, just incase next time you don't know what it is.

jwaymer

Seaman Apprentice

Since you refer to him as "my mechanic" at "my marina", it sounds like you might need his assistance in the future. Probably ought not call him a "dic", unless you have another "my" you can go to....boating can be expensive.

ALAG3

Seaman

I was gonna say.....95.00 is cheap....wish all repairs were this way!

tommays

Admiral

well i wish i could get somebody for 50 ITS 105 dollars and hr here<br /><br />its pretty rare anything gets fixed on a boat for 95 dollars<br /><br />tommays

vonway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my comment was that he didnt even diagnose the problem, and he put on the filter that i had on hand. And the antisiphon wasnt broke before he took it off. HE intentionally broke it to see if it was clogged. OH WELL ... just thought it was kind of alot for 1hr... Overall.. at least the boat is back up and running.. Thats all i really care about.

vonway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PS 50 is his rate, for he does this on tbe side. Works out of his truck. No shop.. Used to work at a marina,

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see what your saying but didn't you diagnose the problem after he determined it wasn't the antisiphon? Testing is part of diagnosis so you both diagnosed the problem, you just paid him for being your helper.<br />Lets look at it another way, whats it cost to have your car hooked up to one of them super high tech computerised engine anylizers only to tell you you need a tune up? 100 bucks? Then you have to pay for the tune up!<br />95 bucks aint too bad for the time spent helping find the problem. I dont know too many people that'll come out to your boat and change a fuel filter for much less.<br /><br />I guess its tough finding simpathy on a board fulla techs, eh? :D

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by yknots:<br /> PS 50 is his rate, for he does this on tbe side. Works out of his truck. No shop.. Used to work at a marina,
He still has tools and test equipment to buy as well as the truck and operating costs. And training and experience. And he won't be able to bill eight hours a day every day. And then there's health insurance and self employmet tax. And bookeeping. ..................... ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and that is why a a vacum gauge and the common sense to use it is imperative to test fuel systems. most techs aint gotta clue how to use one or why to use one. its incredibly simple,quick and very reliable to test for restrictions.most motors have a connection at the fuel pump you can tie into readily. if system vacum is below about 4"Hg at the pump suction side odds are its not restricted between the pump and the liquid in the tank. if vacum exceeds 4"hg then move back a bit and retest. its all a matter of a logical trouble shooting sequence but it does reqire a working knowledge of the system, how it works and why it works. I will bet the antisiphon valve is most likly the wrong pressure rating. they are not all the same as the drop from the top of the tank to the lowest point of the fuel system is not the same for every boat. each anti-siphon valve is matched to the pressure drop of the siphon expected.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Sounds reasonable $50.00 an hour is a steal, here its $75.00 an hour, (with a min.) plus additional cost for "shop supplies and disposal fees" and you have to take the boat to them.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with yknots. This guy should have given you a break for you doing his job. Also, if he broke the siphon valve then he should fix it. Did he charge you for a new siphon valve? I know mechanics need to make a living but not by screwing over their customers. He should have just charged you for a half hour and said good day and if he did you probably would feel comfortable going back to him. Now if it were me he would have lost a customer. "well I got to charge you something"....no he doesn't have to charge you anything.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think he's gotta charge you for the time and 1.5 hours sounds reasonable given that he came to your boat and did make a run to the parts store. <br /><br />This might sound petty 'cause it's only a matter of a couple of dollars, but just on principle, given the way things played out, I'd have had a better feeling if he had charged his cost for the antisiphon valve since he broke it (even if his intentions were honorable, he was wrong on that diagnosis).

salty87

Commander

if you hired the guy to take a look at your boat, you hired the guy. sure, he could have said that there was no charge but that's his call. did he pass on another job to look at your boat? i doubt he had his hopes set on messing around under your flooring that day.<br /><br />it was way cheaper than a shop would have charged and you saw the entire job. i don't think the deal with the mechanic was so bad, it just turned out that perhaps you didn't need a mechanic. that wasn't his fault.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Theres 2 sides to every story.....I'd like to hear the mechanics (hey ..I pay my Dentist a hundred bucks to just LOOK at my teeth)<br />Ps. Salty87 has it nailed by the way....

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think 75 bucks an hour is more than a doctor makes ...i think the state and coastguard should realy get involved with licencing these "boat mechanics" ...there are to many people calling themselfs boat mechanics who act like this guy did ,,,,he diddnt evan go through any proper diagnostic steps ,,,and then charged you obsorbanate amounts for parts ......most boat mechanics are flakey.....however i drive a big rig and have come to realy know a good wrench when i meet one.......i dont think this guy took you to hard ,,,but of course that is because your head was out of your own *** ......you protected yourself........if left to his own he might of kept goofing or doing the """ confusehim ,is he buying it charge him more dance""" my advice is to secretly keep looking for the skilled upright coastguard /state licenced mechanic....

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> Theres 2 sides to every story.....I'd like to hear the mechanics (hey ..I pay my Dentist a hundred bucks to just LOOK at my teeth)<br />Ps. Salty87 has it nailed by the way....
your dentist went to school to learn his trade .....there are channels to place legitamate complaints against your dentist....iif to many complaints are heard an investigation into the buissness practices will be made ....etc...