Trolling Motor Steering

Backdoorz

Cadet
I have a 2003 Minn Kota AP/65 24v. The foot control wire is ~18 ft. I have a problem with the steering. I put the unit in the water. I hook everything up, power supply, foot control cable. When I try to turn the motor to the right, it works most of the time. When I turn it to the left, it starts turning and will not stop. I have to unplug the power to get it to stop. I have looked inside the foot control and am familar with the way it works. I have even taken the foot control apart while I was having this problem and pressed the contacts that makes the motor turn and it did the same thing. I took the acuator board off (small plastic board with 4 contacts) at home and attempted to adjust it so as not to have the board pressing on the contacts all the time and still no luck. By the way, the motor itself runs fine. The batteries are fully charged. ALL wires, including the power and foot control plugs, have been thoroughly cleaned and checked for breakage.

My first response is to replace the foot control pedal. I know that you can replace some of the internals of the pedal, but by the time you replace most of those components, you can just about purchase a new pedal. Are there any sensors, relays, etc. located elswhere, that could be faulty? Like maybe on the motor that turns the shaft? Maybe a bad control board?

Any thoughts, help, ideas, or solutions will be appreciated.

Bob

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Trolling Motor Steering

Welcome to iBoats.

There are a number of very experienced MK PD and AP owners that hang out here. I am sure you will get some very expert advice shortly.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I think you have more than one problem. I have a AP65 that is 6 years old. I freakquently had problems with foot pedal contact failure. I replaced it with a copilot modual, problem solved. Be sure to remove the cover on the extra foot pedal connector because when water gets in there it conducts and switches control to a foot pedal that isn't there stopping the motor!!!! It took me a week of testing to find this out, minn didn't know about this problem!! When the motor keeps turning and you unplug the foot pedal does it srop turning? The control board in the head can short out and cause this. I think I paid $60 for a control board at one point. The Copilot is $150. It is worth it for sure!!!

Backdoorz

Cadet

The motor turning the shaft stops turning after I unplug the power cable. The motor turning the shaft will NOT stop if I leave the power cable plugged in and unplug the foot control cable.

I am vaguely familar with the Copilot module. I don't know if it will fit on my motor.

The control board that you mention that is located in the head, is it part #2884024 (2994003) and called the Control Board/AP Compass Assembly? Do you know if there is a way to check the board out, like maybe with a volt/ohm meter?

Bob

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I am sure that they have a copilot for your trolling motor. Give minn kota a call (the phone number is on the bottom of the head along with the serial number) Before you disconect anything take a picture of it. The instructions are ok but a picture will be better!!! Good Lock.