Need Advice Please 4cy 6cyl

in to deep

Seaman
Disaster has struck my 3.0 L engine is cracked!!:facepalm: exhaust manifold too
1979 orion with a 181 cid 140hp omc whith a omc 400 out drive

what i have found is a older boat dont know the year but it is in the 80's it has a omc 3.8 L v6 cyl the block is shot cracked but is has a out drive for a v6 that has the 20 hole boot patter that is the same as on my boat!! the steering cable on my boat even hooks up to the bell houseing part of the out drive
he wants $750.00 fot the whole boat
then i find a boat with a Omc cobra ?? 4.3 L late 80's early 90's?? yes i asked for the years and all i got was well have to look at the paper work
any way it has a differant out drive setup then mine but he said the engine over heated when his wife and her friends took the boat out and now it has low compression on all cylinders and he wants $750.00 just for the engine
question will the out drive from the top boat bolt up too the 4.3 L engine????
i do not mind rebuilding the engine at this point but the above boat has all the tilt and trim parts still there so i think i can take the time too make it all work it is just will they mate up?? bellhouseing and fly wheel and all that??

option 2

i found a omc cobra 3.0 L engine it is a 1991 model at a salvage yard but it has no oil in the pan and when you pull the dirstick what oil does stick to it is a milky color but is has a fresh water cooling system on it and it is full of antifreeze!!! so what up with the milky color oil or lake of too??
he said he will sell the engine if it is ok and not cracked with a used manifold that is needed for my boat and out drive for $600.00
does this engine swap from a 1979 to a 1991 need any adapters???

Any ADVICE here please and help i know i dont have much to give you all year and models and what not but all parts are omc or omc cobra

yes my handle says it all I Am In To DEEP Bill

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Need Advice Please 4cy 6cyl

will the out drive from the top boat bolt up too the 4.3 L engine????

i found a omc cobra 3.0 L engine it is a 1991 model

neither of those engine will work for you
If you want a 4 cylinder - it must be pre 1990
If you want a V6 it has to be a 3.8 (or a 1985 4.3)
and 4.3's made after 1985 will not bolt up to a stringer drive - there is no stringer type coupler to fit the later style crankshafts

in either case, $750 seems like a lot of money for busted up junk... maybe market is different out west...at least they are honest sellers

this looks more like it
http://portlandor.ebayclassifieds.c...p-chevy-omc-engine-with-outdrive/?ad=13935547

in to deep

Seaman

Sorry for sounding stupid!
the boat dealer inSalemm or. with the boat that has the bad engine said any 3.8L and 4.3L with bolt up to thatOMCc 800 out drive
trying too get this right on the out drive it is painted silver and says V-6 on it but from what i see it eitheOMCmc 400 oOMCmc 800OMComc 400 is for 4 cyl engines aOMComc 800 is for V-6 and V-8's so i think what you are trying to bay correct me I'm im wrong is tbell housinging will bolt up to the block but it is the crank / flywheel and input shaft that will not match up??

the boat with the cobra 4.3 with low compression is a 1991
the other boat with the V-6 out drive is a 1985

was in hopes of going to a V6 but very slim pickings out here on the west coast
the guSalemthe salem marine center i just called for the year on the out drive just doubled his price to $1650.00 instead of yesterdays $750.00 what did oboma do this morning?? sorry sad joke!!

found a salvaged 3.8L chevy he wants $1650.00 for just the engine with no guarrantee
or return

in to deep

Seaman

ok let se if i can take this path the 1991 omc 181 cid 3.0L engine you say can not work!
what if i take the crank out of my 1979 and put new main bearing in this would work correct??
the blocks them selfs have not changed but the crank safts have correct??

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the block changed too - the crankshafts do not swap back and forth across the 1990 dateline.
you need an engine (block AND crank) pre-1990

in to deep

Seaman

been looking for a replacement engine ( 1979 omc 140hp 181 CID Chevy )
look at the engine in saint Helen's Oregon and am not sure tried to see if there were any cracks but got a bad feeling from the two guys selling it!
I don't like too say anything bad about any businesses there there to make a living but am truly sorry to have too say that island marine salvage in deer island Oregon this outfit is bad you need to stay away from this place!!

found a 1991 merc 3.0L with a fresh water cooling system but had water in the oil pan that had been run , the oil turned a milky color ??
i have found new crate engines for sale but i am told you have to have the coupler on the crank drilled. Also have found rebuilt engines out the but most are still 1 piece rear main seals my setup is a two piece rear main seal
from one marine salvaged place most engines were cracked junk but they tried to sell me 153's as 181's and then there bare blocks are out in the rain all rusting
been trying to find a new block but i have found no place that sells them out here in Oregon
at the point of just giving up and just give this boat a Viking burial

is ther some place i have missed out here in oregon and washington that sells marine boat engines
sucks having a two piece rear main engine

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Try marinerep35c2 on ebay...I purchased an OMC 5.7 from them complete (even included intermediate housing) for less than $1000...they even guarantee the motor for 14days.

great folks to deal with!

hope that helps!