Any marine sales people on here?

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any marine sales people on here?

our local Lund/Alumacraft dealer just got 5 trade-ins this week.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Buffalo, NY.

The 6:00 news today said we escaped the downturn and are doing fine. Our housing prices are up (never had a burst bubble), and our jobs are increasing.

I'm not a dealer but my buddy is. I drive by his marina every day.

In the last 2 weeks he has received two TRUCKLOADS of new boats - Starcrafts. A few are for inventory but most are already sold.

OMG, we have 9% unemployment. Wait.......91% are still employed!!! Its that glass of water thing - full or empty. Say the wrong thing and Wall Street goes beserrk....LOL.

My plant runs 24/7/365. I was informed just this morning that I will be on call Christmas day in case Engineering support is needed. Business is so strong that we can't afford to shut down for even an hour, much less a whole day. OTOH, my coworkers that will be working will be paid very well for that day.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am not a salesperson for any of the local dealers but I do keep contact with them as I know most of them. This is what they have to say. The market this year is very different from those past. Low to mid-range priced boats are not selling. However, big ticket boats are selling well. My main place said that they have sold 3 times as many $250,00+ boats this year as they ever had in the past. Those buyers have money and cash is the way they buy. It's the entry level or "middle class" boats that are sitting. He sells Crownline, Regal, Bayliner and others. The Bayliners are sitting as are the under-25' boats. However, jump up to a 28'+ boat and they are selling. He's just fine with selling 1 big Crownline instead of 5 or 6 Bayliners. Accessories are doing well as is the parts department and service. Used boats simply don't stay on the lot when he gets them. Financing has been tough unless you have a good chunk for a down and decent credit.
One of the guys in my area has a very good parts/accessories department and they have had a good year. Boat sales are flat for them but they are selling accessories like crazy, or at least they were during the season. People who have boats spend on them and with the downturn they are keeping them instead of upgrading. That means more goodies/toys for the existing boats. The margin on these items is very good so technically they are making "more" money there, Granted, it takes a lot of $100 toys to make up for the profit on a $30,000 boat but volume makes up the difference. None of the local dealers are on hard times believe it or not.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Buffalo, NY.

The 6:00 news today said we escaped the downturn and are doing fine. Our housing prices are up (never had a burst bubble), and our jobs are increasing.

OMG, we have 9% unemployment. Wait.......91% are still employed!!! Its that glass of water thing - full or empty. Say the wrong thing and Wall Street goes beserrk....LOL.

Ouch, 9%, we have 3% here... 14,000 open jobs that can't be filled... :eek: :) (and no housing bubble here, we are pretty much insulated from the rest of the country by lots of cold air)

Anyway, dealers up here, at least in the bis/man area, are hurting. We had major flooding, and the river was off limits for recreation for most of the year. The bays were all blocked off, and very few ramps were usable. I'm hoping they are all around next spring, but I have my doubts about at least one major one.