Question: Post Winterization Antifreeze in Bilge???

ekg2003

Recruit
I winterized my boat last week and left the antifreeze in the system and put it down for the winter. I've been noticing accumulation of the antifreeze in the bilge (1-2 inches) that I have been syphoning from there every 3 days or so. I just replaced the water pump this summer and have noticed water in the bilge throughout the season but didn't think anything of it, but now I think there is a leak somewhere in the engine/connection to outdrive. Any suggestions on where to start and narrow down where it is coming from? The boat is a 1999 Galaxie 1800 DB with a 4.3L mercruiser I/O Alpha 1 outdrive and is trailered.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question: Post Winterization Antifreeze in Bilge???

exactly how did you winterize it, dont leave anything out

ekg2003

Recruit

I put Sta-Bil in the gas tank, ran the engine until it got up to temp on the muffs, drained water from the engine and manifolds (4 plugs in all), hooked muffs to funnel and ran antifreeze through the muffs until 4 bottles were used, then shot fogging oil into the manifold until it choked out and removed battery and lowered the outdrive. Done it that way for years and shop mechanics agreed it is what they do.

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would look at the drain plugs that were removed and reinstalled, bet one or more is not sealing and/or cross threaded.

ekg2003

Recruit

I already checked the plugs and found no leaks or cross threading. It must be a slow leak from somewhere because I cannot see it leaking when I am looking at the engine. Any thoughts on the connection from the outdrive to the engine or any other place leaks are common?