using engine oil analysis service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone else has ever used one of the engine oil analytical services that can tell you things like metal content in your oil, water etc.... and is suppose to give you an overall idea of the condition of your engine. I got a friend that swears by these tests for his vehicles and he gave me one of the sample jars to send in. Seems to me you would need a test done on your engine when it was new for a baseline for this to help you figure out the condition of your engine, but maybe not, that's why I'm asking!

thanks,
mrbill

sasto

Captain
Re: using engine oil analysis service

I do it frequently with diesel engines....but never gas. I'm looking for glycol (anti-freeze) and any other forein material. I'm curious how it works out for you mrbill.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have never used one , but have friends that have.
One is a road race guy with a fair amount tied up in his engine. They can actually tell him when it is time to do a freshen up of rod or main bearings or if he is getting cam shaft or any other wear by the type of metal in the oil. Also if the type of oil he is using and change intervals are working to suit conditions.

I have heard that fleet operators (Taxi's, Police Department,UPS, etc) use them to accurately predict necessary change intervals based on whatever specific operating conditions they regularly encounter. I think the aviation industry is also a heavy user of this type of oil analysis.

I don't think they need a baseline but will no doubt want to know a lot of info about your motor if it is not OEM.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've never used it, and would have to ask why bother with the expense? :confused: Simply change the oil and filter on a regular basis. If and when the engine gets worn out enough to start thinking about replacing bearings, etc - you will know it based on performance. NOT on what an oil analysis will tell you.

sasto

Captain

I've never used it, and would have to ask why bother with the expense? :confused: Simply change the oil and filter on a regular basis. If and when the engine gets worn out enough to start thinking about replacing bearings, etc - you will know it based on performance. NOT on what an oil analysis will tell you.

I understand your thinking. But....This is another tool for preventative maintenance. An oil sample can tell all kinds of possible problems long before any damage is done. I pay $18 per sample, a small investment for a peek into an engine.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oils have changed a lot over the years. If one were currently using expensive oil and changing at short intervals these test companies can actually give you a safe "extended" time-line based on your engine, its health, your operating conditions. For $20.00 its cheap info. Most of the "Good" oil companies will recommend you do this.

Engine bearings are multi layered and can wear thru the usable top layers and into the base layers long before you will notice any engine performance losses. Then you start wear on the crank. Its not like someone is going to tear down the engine in their pick up to change the bearings, but on a High dollar engine in a race car or big $$$ Diesel it is common. :)

The road race friend i mentioned above, drains his high dollar full synthetic from his race car after so many laps and runs it in his daily driver for like 7k miles and has been doing so for some time. Oil test company told him it was no longer "perfect" for his race engine but better than any dino oil for his daily driver.:)

Not trying to start an oil thread! :eek:

Last edited:

TilliamWe

Banned

I have used both Cleveland Technical Center and Blackstone for insurance claims.

A baseline can start at any point. So the first sample you send in is your base. They ask for the mileage and stuff anyway, so they take that into account. it's mostly overkill for a private vehicle owner. Diesel Fleets get the most value out of them. But hey if you have $50 or so burning a hole in your pocket, send in a sample now and another at you next oil change and see what it says.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Its not like someone is going to tear down the engine in their pick up to change the bearings, but on a High dollar engine in a race car or big $$$ Diesel it is common. :)

And if this were a racing forum, I would say go for it! ;)

Being that it is a boating forum however.... for most users I still stand by my assertion that it is a waste of time and money. And in fact, it may create more questions and uncertainties in the mind of the owner than it solves. But hey - whatever "floats your boat!" :D

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And if this were a racing forum, I would say go for it! ;)

Being that it is a boating forum however.... for most users I still stand by my assertion that it is a waste of time and money. And in fact, it may create more questions and uncertainties in the mind of the owner than it solves. But hey - whatever "floats your boat!" :D

Well... the o/p asked a pretty general question about the oil analysis companies. I was merely sharing my knowledge of them. In general I would say that these type of folks find it cheap piece of mind.

For all i know o/p might have a new $180,000.00 with twin power for which this is chump change and a great idea.

He might also have a 1,500.00 used rig he puts recycled Amalie in....

He asked if we knew about what they can tell you from it and if they need a baseline, not if we thought it was a waste of money. :D

Folks that are so critical of things they haven't done themselves or know nothing about, crack me up.:p

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Folks that are so critical of things they haven't done themselves or know nothing about, crack me up.:p

I'm glad I could crack you up Joe. :rolleyes:

I would hardly classify what I wrote as being "critical" -- and as you correctly pointed out, neither of us know what the original poster has. He can use the information provided and make his own decision. I guess I would also point out that you have no idea what I know - or "don't know"about the issue.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I based what i said about you not knowing anything about it based on the above... Also performance will not necessarily be notability diminished because bearings are worn...
I would hardly classify what I wrote as being "critical" -- and as you correctly pointed out, neither of us know what the original poster has. He can use the information provided and make his own decision. I guess I would also point out that you have no idea what I know - or "don't know"about the issue.

When you tell someone "why bother".... i view that as being critical/judgmental and probably that you don't know or understand much about it. I guess i could be wrong... ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the information and dialog fellow boaters. This is a blackstone kit and for those thinking I'm wasting money, it's going on my friends account, so I'm thinking why not for the 1st one? I bought my "new" boat this season, BTW I don't buy anything brand new but thats another thread :)

The 5.0l gi volvo penta in my glastron gx 205 had only 97 hours on it when I bought it, but being a 10 year old boat with low hrs (owned by a local surgeon) I did have problems with the ujoint and gimbal with lack of maintenance, so thats why I thought it may be worthwhile to get the oil analyized. Did I ever do it on my last boat I owned for 13 years.... no. Will I do it again in the future, maybe. Will I freak out, and have the engine torn down because it shows that something may be failing, no I'll sell and try again if it is really serious. Do I appreciate the dialog and advice? YOU BET! there is a lot of knowledge on this site and I plan to glean as much as I can. And those of you responding from Florida still able to boat this time of year, well I'm just 4 years from doing the same, although my Colorado inland lakes are pretty nice! Thanks again!
mrbill

TilliamWe

Banned

mrbill, the more information you can give to Blackstone the better.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would consider doing it with my aircraft engine because an oil related engine failure might be a little more "dangerous".

But, I'll use the money I would spend on it for my boat to buy gas. If I ever have an oil related engine failure in my boat......... Well, I'll just assume that it's time to get another engine.

sasto

Captain

I use oil analysis yearly on the diesel motors. They can detect a potential problem long before I can. On the other hand, the relativity cheap gas inboard, seldom. Analyzing oil around here is as common as winterizeing up north. The first thing we do when an internal engine problem arises is get an oil sample and submit it. Water in oil? I know it is either raw or circulation. Is there fuel in the oil? Correct type of oil? I have saved tons of money on certain engines due to an oil analysis.

This process just makes troubleshooting the internal parts of an engine easier. This is what we do here before ever tearing down an engine. Same goes for the transmission. I can't tell how many hours we have saved.....for $18 a pop!

Status
Not open for further replies.