Throttle control cable nightmare

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I got some new teleflex cables for my 83 merc 50hp. I Took apart the control box and i had to disconnect the idle throttle lever side off to change the wire on that side, the gear shift side I did not have to disconnect, I just slipped the pin that holds the cable out. I assembeled the box and ran the cables to the motor and took it out to the lake today. It seems to idle lower now and I only had to go so far with the throttle to get to full throttle and now I have to move the lever so far down that it is almost pointing at the ground to hit full throttle. Also, when I try reverse you can hear it almost getting into reverse, kind of like the gears starting to catch but if you try to go more it just starts to rev the motor really high. One last thing that I noticed is that the cables coming out of the motor are really uneven. The gear shift side comes out of the control box looking normal and the idle lever side is about an inch lower. This box seems so complex I do not even know where to begin and my manual does not really do anything for me. Please help! thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle control cable nightmare

First SWAG is that you need to adjust your cables at the engine for your new control box. Take your cables off the engine and run the engine through it's idle and WOT speed positions and F-N-R shifter positions. Move the lever on your new control box in the appropriate positions accordingly noting that if you had the cables installed in the engine receptacles, would the positions line up. If not, spin the cylinder up or down the brass outer conductor of the cable at the engine till it fits it's hole when the center conductor hole lines up with it's appropriate pin.

Mark

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is an old box with new cables, and the only adjusting I found was the black holder at the engine side of the cable that you rotate on the threads until it fits on the two spring loaded cable holders. I think the problem is on the control box side when I took it apart to install the new cables.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Open the control box and show us some pics of the mounting of the cables. Nor Familiar with your equipment but I just got through installing a new control for my engine and the experience is fresh in my mind.

Mark