checkmate vision help upgrading prop

Dobb15

Seaman
hey i have a 23' 9" checkmate vision with a 454 and bravo one drive, running a 48-13704 a45 23p
mirage plus stainless prop. at wide open throttle i am reading about 5000-5100 rpm ... i know i should be only around 4500 rpm at wot, if i go to a 24p prop would that be fine or is there a better prop out there for this setup?

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: checkmate vision help upgrading prop

If you are pulling any water toys, you are probably right where you need to be. If you are just making some smoke on the water with a light load,you might even try a 25p

Dobb15

Seaman

No i dont pull any water toys lol, i thought that too maybe , i have absolutley no problem out of the hole no matter how many ppl are in the boat

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Once you go to a 25 pitch, the holeshot may suffer a bit. I was thinking you would benefit from going to a 25p 4 blade stainless. But the 4 blades may hold you back on the top mph if you even care about that.

Dobb15

Seaman

does anyone know how wide my prop is by the number given or do i have to actually measure it? top end wouldnt be a huge loss i am running 73 mph right now

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Hey Dobb, that Merc part number is a 14-5/8" prop. I would recommend a Bravo 1 four blade 15-1/4" x 24".

Dobb15

Seaman

does switching to a 4 blade make much of a difference? what will that do for my ride?

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Normally your top speed will drop by maybe 5% with the 4 blade prop. Rule of thumb, decrease pitch 1 - 2" for an increase in diameter by 1" or going from 3 to 4 blades.
So, I picked a prop that is not quite 3/4" larger in diameter with a 1" greater pitch to bring down your RPM and hopefully hold your current top speed or at least close to it.
I'm by no means a prop expert but I have experimented a fair bit with a couple of boats with success. Hopefully a knowledgeable prop nut :D will chime in with some expert advice.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does switching to a 4 blade make much of a difference? what will that do for my ride?

The 4 blades helps with holeshot. Once you start getting a larger pitch, the holeshot will begin to suffer. So, go with a 24p or 25p and 4 blades will help keep the original like holeshot... or maybe better. But like said... top end sometimes suffers a bit due to the extra blade swinging in the water.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

does anyone know how wide my prop is by the number given or do i have to actually measure it? top end wouldnt be a huge loss i am running 73 mph right now

I think you need to get a GPS out... if your running 5100 rpm with a 23p at 73 mph, your prop slip is 1%... :confused:

Philster

Captain

23p and is probably at 65-67 downhill with tail wind as the max speed.

I think a 3-bladed Bravo prop at 25 pitch would be perfect. His hole shot won't suffer (although on paper and measuring with instruments, it wouldn't be as good as other options). He has a good-power-to-weight-ratio and I doubt he'll need to compensate with that package.

Dobb15

Seaman

23p and is probably at 65-67 downhill with tail wind as the max speed.

I think a 3-bladed Bravo prop at 25 pitch would be perfect. His hole shot won't suffer (although on paper and measuring with instruments, it wouldn't be as good as other options). He has a good-power-to-weight-ratio and I doubt he'll need to compensate with that package.

Does the type of prop matter? what about a Stiletto? .... is there any sites you know of to order one from?

Philster

Captain

I am so biased to Merc props. I would check here on iboats, but the two best props out there are:

Mirage plus
Bravo 1 prop

And, your RPM are about a hair above the sweet spot. Your RPM max range is 4600-5000. I'd want to be right at 4900-5000k @WOT!! Now that I am digesting this, maybe the 24p Bravo would be perfect. Still the 25p Mirage Plus would be good to maintain every MPH.