Pedal Boats

D

DJ

Anyone have any recommendations/stay away from, on pedal boats?

Looking for one for the lake place for the wife/me-children, etc.

Thanks.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pedal Boats

What he said, or one piece construction. They will easily fill with water.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

See if you can rent one, or at lease by used. The novelty will wear off very quickly.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

See if you can rent one, or at lease by used. The novelty will wear off very quickly.

This is an EXCELLENT idea. At least get a used one, I see them advertised around here for a hundred bucks or less all the time. They are fun for about 1/2 hour, from then on its is just a horribly inefficient mode of transportation. If you have a bunch of kids that visit it will keep them occupied for a while, otherwise, it'll sit.

If you really want a people powered vehicle, I would recommend getting a few kayaks. They have the "fun" aspect of the peddle boat but can also be useful for traveling short distances with a lot less effort.

southkogs

Staff member

Some of them have a small bimini or "hood" over them - at that slow speed there is no breeze to cool down the sun that is cooking you like an egg.

airshot

Rear Admiral

If I may make some suggestions....from experience !! Stay away from the molded plastic boats, when it rains they fill with water, they are harder to pedal. And yes the fun wears off quickly! They really are very tiring to pedal. If you still want a pedal boat get one with the small aluminium pontoons, these are much easier to pedal, do not fill up with water when it rains and here is the best part....can easily be adapted to an electric trolling motor !! The aluminum pontoon models will usually carry more weight (battery) than the plastic boats and are more comfortable to set in. Yes you will pay considerably more for them but.....save money to watch it set there, or spend money to see it get used?

Airshot

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nauticraft make THE coolest pedal boat. Okay, it is also really expensive, but I don't think the novelty is going to wear off. It looks cool, can cross the English Channel, seats three, bails itself.

Attachments

• pedal_boat_Escapade.jpeg
    pedal_boat_Escapade.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hobie makes a pedal powered kayak. I think that a sit on top kayak would be more fun and have more utility than a traditional pedal boat.

camaro9488

Cadet

I have a Sun Dolphin 5 Seater with a canopy and a mooring cover. We love the thing. It is well built, the kids love it, it has a built in ice chest, and a place to put a trolling motor and battery.:p

D

DJ

Thanks all. We already have the: kayaks, canoes, row boats, etc. Just about everything.

Yes, there will be plenty of children around to enjoy.

Great tip on the "foam". Didn't think of that. Imagine that, A Boston Whaler owner having a disconnect on the "foam" part-duh!!!

nosticks

Cadet

Try one yourself. Wait till you drift "pedal" the hulk downwind, then see how much fun it is to get back to the dock without a heart attack. Just have someone with a chase boat available to come and get you.

D

DJ

lol...........DJ

build one...!!! :D

Yes, I'd like to but find those "itty bitty" toons is not easy.

The lovely and gracious Mrs. DJ has decided that this is the ticket for an early morning "workout", at the lake. The LAG Mrs. has decided that we need to supply the lake house with a pedal boat. Read: DECIDED!

Looking on the internet and various water locations, I see all types. Upper waters (midwest, etc.) seem to be small pontoon based. But, I can't find who builds them.

The South, where we are, seems to go for foam filled monocoque hulls.

Personally, I like the "mini toon" types. They seem to be all custome built. Otherwise, any clues?

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

DJ - Sorry to hear your plight! Pedal boats are great fun for the kids, I admit. But having owned a small pedal boat concession business on St. George Island, FL, I can tell you that they usually provide "one-way" trips for the rider when there is more than a "breath" of breeze. I finally had to plan "pick-up" points, based on daily prevailing winds and tell folks to walkie-talkie me for a pick up (and yes, the walkie-talkies are a must have!). If you prefer not to become a "pick-up" man, pick the one with a trolling motor option!!!

Been there - Richard

D

DJ

DJ - Sorry to hear your plight! Pedal boats are great fun for the kids, I admit. But having owned a small pedal boat concession business on St. George Island, FL, I can tell you that they usually provide "one-way" trips for the rider when there is more than a "breath" of breeze. I finally had to plan "pick-up" points, based on daily prevailing winds and tell folks to walkie-talkie me for a pick up (and yes, the walkie-talkies are a must have!). If you prefer not to become a "pick-up" man, pick the one with a trolling motor option!!!

Been there - Richard

Thanks Richard, I'd heard the same.

Fortunately, we're on a blind creek that opens into a protected small bay. HOPEFULLY, the wind should not be too big of an issue as all of it surrounded by mountains.

We've got "Chase" boats. Plus, nobody will ever be out of sight.

Thanks.