external fuel tank for winter fuel mix question

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2011 4.3GXi-J - fuel injected
during winterization, I used a portable 3 gallon fuel tank - did the winter mix - of 50:1 two stroke/stabil/gas - I disconnected existing boat's fuel line at the fuel pump, hooked up the portable tank to the fuel pump - using a new fuel line with a primer ball on it... pumped it up to prime the line. Then after a minute or two, the primer ball got soft and the fuel pump had a very slight whine to it... pumped it back up and the whine went away - so I kept pumping the primer a few times during the motor running to keep fuel going in... not exactly sure why this would happen - ie not getting the correct 'fuel pressure'

the existing fuel line, vs the portable fuel line is 1/16th different in size, and the vent on the portable - I tried with wide open to closed and it did not seem to matter. I clamped the portable line onto the fuel pump as well - so it was a tight fit. Brand new portable tank and portable line...

any idea ?

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: external fuel tank for winter fuel mix question

Sounds like a defective fuel bulb. I was first thinking vent closed on the tank, but if that was the case squeezing the bulb wouldn't work either.