evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke questions

cbucner

Seaman
Hello! , I just got an evinrude 15hp 4 stroke the other day and got it running today and noticed some things, so I have some questions.
First there is a whine if if can call it that way when the engine is running and I don't know if that's normal or not, so maybe somebody here who's got the same engine or something similar can shed some light .
Second it looks like the pressure out the pee hole it's kinda low , so again I don't know how it's that suppose to be on these engines.
If it's low I would do an impeller replacement but only if it needs one.
And third what it's the maintenence on these 4 strokes?
I made an youtube video and here is the link to it to kinda see and hear the noise I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXzTVEFF-iw

Thanks for any input

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke questions

Hi.
if this word"whine " mens noise in friction so its not nornal.i hope the transmision belt will not break.
but be calm.in cars engine there is a tensioner with bearing.water or fog can do this noise while tensioner is runing.

pee streram is normal while runing on mufs.try to put engin on boat transom

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had this same motor, Words cant describe the hate i had for it... It was the biggest p.o.s i've ever owned. Besides only starting when it wanted to.. Its nearly impossible to find some parts for it. Hope you never need to find a coil .. This motor was only made for a few years then discontinued... Goodluck with "it"

petryshyn

Commander

sounds like a overtightened timing belt or worn idler bearing. Pee looks weak. Always inspect/change impellar on an engine that has no maintenance history (its cheap insurance)

pukindog51

Cadet

I have the same 2001 motor. Mine also had a weak stream which my dealer fixed by cleaning out the water passages with a wire.
It was weak when I bought it. I think the factory clogged the passages with gasket materail or didn't clean the parts well while assembling.
Mine pees water hard now and has for 6 years after the clean out. I totaly agree with n1ne1 about being a P O S.
Mines breaks down every 5 years and you spend a fortune to get it running again. I converted my coil to the equivalnt Suzucki part number and still wont start. My dealer thinks the stator is shot now. Waiting for a new one to show in the mail. Mine also cause electical corrosion to the rest of the meatal parts on my I/O and aluminum hull. Try a Yamaha or a Honda if your convinced 4 strokes are the way to go.