evenrude 5hp water pump

firstdown

Recruit
My engine (1998 5hp evenrude) will only flow water through the water pump when the rubber piece is removed on the side of the shaft that exposes the shift linkage. When I put the rubber piece in place it stops flowing water, as soon as I remove it water flows again. Please help!

JDusza

Ensign
Re: evenrude 5hp water pump

I am sorry to say I do not follow your description.
What is this rubber piece and where is it? What shaft is the rubber piece adjacent to?
See if this link comes through and can help. Select Evinrude from the pull down in the upper left and then follow to your year, hp and model.
http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=...-84e3-07ddf4f7d43c&brands=ej&dealerlocator=no
I know this is lame for I do not often post links and need practice doing so.
J
p.s., welcome to the forum! There's a lot of experience and willingness to help here. You will be fine.

firstdown

Recruit

The rubber piece is the cover for the shift adjustment hole. (#4)

Attachments

• convert.jpg
    convert.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0

JDusza

Ensign

Sounds like the water intake is blocked and when the cover is removed water is able to get into the unit to fill the pump.
If you have a picture of the lower gear case, you may find an intake and filter screen identified.
What's the year and model number for the engine? My parts schematic isn't anything like yours...and I don't know why. I'll look again.
I'd like to see more of the lower unit to better understand how water should get in.
J