gear case fluid??

lexmark256

Recruit
can you drain the fluid and leave it empty over the winter? i need to do the seals next spring.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: gear case fluid??

I do suppose you could although I never have. I would be concerned about a couple things:
corrosion protection over the winter and just plain forgetting next spring and running with the unit dry.
I would tend to leave the fluid in for the winter and deal with it when you do the seals. But, do check it for water and let any drain before winter storage.
Just my two cents.
J

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I had a buddy that used to do it that way. He said he was afraid if there was water in it it might freeze. Cwazy idea, but it never gave him probelms either.

So, just drain out a couple ounces. If there is water, it'll be gone. If leaving it empty will cause corrosion, you got that covered as well.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it has water in it, I would drain it out and refill it. Water causes rust. If the oil refill is only temporary to prevent rust, fill it with cheapest car engine oil in the store. Note, I said temporary. Don't run it on that stuff.

Whatever you do, don't leave it in freezing temps with water in it.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Always drain and refill before storing for winter. This keeps the gears protected in clean water free oil. Plus, you'll be ready for the new season in the spring. If there is water in the gear case, you'll have all winter to get it resealed. Always use new plug/vent washers too!

Mas

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What are you trying to do, save $5 on gear oil? That makes no sense. Drain and refill it now. Replace the seals and refill it later, with new gear oil.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would just go ahead and drain the lower unit and re-seal it over the winter and then refill it. It's not real hard to re-seal those. Almost as easy to do as it is to figure out whether to refill it of leave it empty :D

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Drain it and fill it up with ATF and leave it set till you get a chance to work on it.