Does anyone remember that large home built yacht? Curious on progress updates?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone remember that large steel home made yacht that a couple guys were building in a ship yard/marina? All I remember is that they attempted to launch it, and it was so stern heavy that they had to pull it back out and were welding sponsons (?) to the side to increase its lift in the stern.

It been a couple years since I saw an update...anyone remember that boat? Any links to updates?

TIA!

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does anyone remember that large home built yacht? Curious on progress updates?

I remember that monster. Used to have the thread bookmarked but lost it when my computer crashed. Would also like to know about it. I thought the last I read there was money issues?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does anyone remember that large home built yacht? Curious on progress updates?

That was a good one

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I think I read they got her in the water, and are actually now chartering it like they anticipated.

Philster

Captain

Home page for that yacht translated from French:

This is the best choice for many to enjoy a cruise on the St. Lawrence River.
Its style and layout makes the private yacht stands out from other
cruise ships located in the Montreal area.

This luxury yacht is available for charter, private cruises for corporate and special events.

When you choose Cruise Absolutely, you do not have to choose bridge or saloons; the whole boat is available and allows you to enjoy the sun on her decks and beautiful woodwork of mahogany and cherry of her living rooms.

Discreet and inviting, the Absolute 80 yacht is ideally suited for a business meeting, wedding, special celebration, or a private cruise away from prying eyes.

We look forward to welcoming you on board!

They did add side sponsons to the hull. :)

View attachment 121391
View attachment 121392

Attachments

• __croisiere_montreal.jpg
    __croisiere_montreal.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • __fichetechnique_misealeau.jpg
    __fichetechnique_misealeau.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Philster! Looks like they got it done! Looks pretty nice on the inside too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

peter ,. the guy that started the thread on the wooden boat forum, deleted the thread. the responces were getting out of hand, and if the owner ever saw the thread, that would be it for peter.

my french isnt that good, but it looks like they passed marine cert. that was ab big step for them......i wonder if the old tub is actually working.

it looks good in the pictures with all the blue light.....but that is a photo shop.

in the dry dock, that boat was fugly !

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The image they chose for the webpage does not exactly inspire confidence

sink.jpg

I think it's sinking

Friscoboater

Captain

I wondered what happend to it also.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

The image they chose for the webpage does not exactly inspire confidence

View attachment 121422

I think it's sinking

BAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA.

to tell the truth......i think that artist that drew that logo, saw the ship from the bow at its first launch !

ill tell ya though......talk about perserverance.....the owners never gave up.....they just kept on going....i really sincerely hope all their dreams come true with the boat.

Philster

Captain

Considering how they intend to use it, the boat will be fine. I've been on corporate events and some dinners on those type of event boats and most are nothing to write home about. It is actually nicer than most of them out there. It's 'yachty' enough and doesn't need to be a cruise liner.

Yeah... the video of the launch and the looks on their faces is something I won't forget, but I was rooting for them. It's not like they were doing something that deserved having anyone cheer for their failure.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

i had followed that thread on the other forum also, it was like losing a favorite pet when all of a sudden the thread disappeared! I had been checking it OFTEN just to see updates...

IIRC, the owner did actually see the thread, or was about to. Someone had threatened to tell him, as the thread had gotten pretty ugly...

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Considering how they intend to use it, the boat will be fine. I've been on corporate events and some dinners on those type of event boats and most are nothing to write home about. It is actually nicer than most of them out there. It's 'yachty' enough and doesn't need to be a cruise liner.

Yeah... the video of the launch and the looks on their faces is something I won't forget, but I was rooting for them. It's not like they were doing something that deserved having anyone cheer for their failure.

Did I miss something? Where's the video of them launching this vessel?

Philster

Captain

I can look for the video, but I watched from a link here or from someone who linked to it from hulltruth.

They back 'er down the ramp and the stern just never floated. They hauled it right out.

Friscoboater

Captain

The video used to be on youtube.

Philster

Captain

I can't locate it. The images are burned into my memory. I remember an older, Italian-looking man at the stern looking over the edge as the stern hit the water (slow, steady launch), and the platform at the rear went down and kept going down and it was clear the whole stern didn't have nearly the buoyancy needed as the whole thing was about to go under. Then I remember the boat was sitting enclosed in a tarp curtain and rumors the builders were belly up and over their heads.

The artists logo/mark and the fact that the stern went right under on its maiden launch is hysterical though. Maybe they have a sick sense of humor! :D

Seeing the sponsons = WIN. Again, I don't find myself rooting against them and am glad it wasn't a dead end.