Piranha Propellers

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone tried one?

http://www.piranhapropellers.com/

I
don't have a spare prop yet and was thinking of getting another Merc BlackMax at some point. On my latest issue of Boating magazine there is an ad for Piranha propellers. Modular, composite design allows replacing blades instead of whole props, with the added advantage of making a change of pitch possible without replacing the propellers.

But...they've been in business for 20 years and this is the first I've heard of them, so it almost seems too good to be true. Does anyone here have any experience with these?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Piranha Propellers

I haven't seen much or looked for much about the Piranha props but have seen some impressive performance and the blade interchange is interesting making 2 props in one.
A couple of things to keep in mind Not saying this applies to the Piranha but composite props do on rare occasion break spontaniously also if you strike something a blade will very likely break off.Where an al prop it just may end up dinged. If you carry a spare; changing props
is about the same as replacing a blade.
If you boat where you are likely to strike something relatively soft,mud,sand, al might hold up better than composite though could need repair in the long run but after a number of strikes.A composte could need a blade everytime you hit something.
If I was looking for something different I wouldn't hesitate to try the piranha.

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply, steelespike! I mainly like what I read because of how easy it would be to re-pitch instead of paying for a whole new prop. I've always wanted to play with different pitches, but I don't have a bottomless bank account to make that happen! Perhaps I should look into this further.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with these?

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

I had one customer with one and he was very satisfied. I also like the idea that even if you break 2 blades with no spares,you can make a 2 blade prop and come back to the hill.