1st time floor replacement

Jhirsch22

Recruit
I have a 85 bayliner, 19.5 ft and the floor is soft and soggy in a couple places. I tore up the carpet and Some of the wood. I just don't know exactly what steps to take. I've been doing some research and think I have an idea but want to make sure and this seemed like the place to find out. Do I just put down new plywood and fiberglass over that and then carpet, or is there more steps to do? I'm a first time boat Owner but handy so I know I can do the work. Any help would be much appreciated...

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1st time floor replacement

I'm by no means an expert, but i have had a couple boats with soggy floors from rotten plywood. One was just a beast so I put down new ply, sealed it and covered it with carpet. This boat was enroute to the recycler anyway and I managed to get a couple more years out of it.

You want to check the stringers that the floor attaches to and ensure they aren't soggy too. That could definitely expand your project scope if you are looking to do this correctly.

Pmccraney has a great project underway that is in progress and the guys responding really seem to know their stuff and provide some great info about the process. Hopefully one of them will find your post and provide some experienced step by step that I'm sure you are requiring.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=513763&page=7&highlight=OMC+trim+hose

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1st time floor replacement

hi ....welcome to iboats.

a soggy floor is how we all got here.....lol.

there are other things to inspect before you replace the deck......

is the faom wet?.....im betting it is....it may be dry on the top....but down at the bottom you will find a soggy mush......any wet foam cannot ever be dryed out....ever...it needs to come out.....any wet stuff.....right out.

i cant remember if back in 85 they had started using glass for stringers yet........but after the foam is out.....you will be able see more....

even though you are no where near replacement yet......

this link will tell you how to do it.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=522237&highlight=replace+deck+foam+hull

the link in my sig.......will have the rest of the details you will want to ask. the first 16 pages contain the info reguarding glassing that you will want to know.

take some pictures....and lets see where you are at.

but those two links will get you going for now