replacing onboard fuel lines and vent

lexmark256

Recruit
i want to replace my onboard fuel lines and vent from my onboard tank. they appear to be stuck, (maybe foamed in place or something under the deck?). any suggestions on how to free these up, and any other hints or tips anyone can think of for this project.

PSG-1

Seaman
Re: replacing onboard fuel lines and vent

Getting foamed-in tanks out of a hull can be a PITA!

There may be other methods to doing this, but this is my method. Basically, use a drywall "jab saw" and be careful not to damage your hull or any lines in the process, but begin by cutting out chunks of foam around the tanks.

Then, you'll need a prybar and some dunnage (wood blocks) to get under the tanks and pry them, to break the bond with the foam. If you are using aluminum tanks, they SHOULD NOT be foamed in place, as the foam can hold moisture, and cause corrosion to the tanks.

lexmark256

Recruit

thanks, but my tank is fine i just need to replace my lines. will they just pull out with enough pressure?

PSG-1

Seaman

Sorry, I misunderstood it that you were replacing it all. Yes, the fuel lines should come out, you may need to take your saw an notch the foam around them, so they come out a little easier.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... They tend to take a set over the years, 'n the curves don't like to straighten out...
If you have the ends free, then a good yank is usually enough to pull 'em out...

Attachin' the new 1s to the end of the old 1s, will put the new 1s in-place as the old 1s are pulled...