Cranking Problems

shrimpman

Recruit
I have a 1979 Johnson outboard. I recently replaced the battery with a blue top Optima marine battery. When I attempt to crank, all I get are clicking sounds. I charge the battery and I still only get clicking sounds. I can jump off with my truck battery. Any ideas?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cranking Problems

What year/model are we talking about? Did you check the inline 20amp fuse at the starter?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are ALL the battery cable connections clean and tight on both the mtr and the battery??

Ballymac

Seaman

Agree with boobie - you're problably seeing a voltage drop due to a loose or bad/corroded connection. It can start with a jump because your increasing the amps available to the starter. After cranking your engine, grab the battery cables and see if they're hot. Hot indicates resistance. Not good. Clean or replace and try again. Good luck.

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I agree with both of the above. Check all connections and make sure all are clean.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The ONLY way you can tell FOR SURE that connections are clean is to take them loose, scrub them shiny and reattach. "Looking" clean and tight is not good enough.

DonNZ

Cadet

Agree with above
I scrape around the inside of the terminal with a knife, especially the positive. then vertical strokes on the battery terminal post.
3 pudding / desert spoons of baking soda / baking powder/ bicarbonate of soda ( not sure then ask your grandmother ) to a cup of boiling water. Immerse the terminal and giggle it around. you'll be quite pleased with the result. once completed cover liberally with snow white petroleum jelly to slow corrosion.

Regards Don

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're in a salt water area you could also have corrosion in the battery cables themselves. Try flexing them and if they're stiff that's the prob.