Replacing the bottom of an Aluminum Boat

jbrandon47

Cadet
Okay, this may be a stupid question but I don't care...Can the bottom of an Aluminum boat be replaced? I have a 94 bass tracker which I have customized from the outboard and trolling motors to electronics. I picked it up from storage this spring and the bottom of the boat looked like it had a sledge hammer taken to it. It's bad. It won't plain out right, when you do get it to plain the motor is red lining, it has two cracks in the rear, it's trashed. Is it possible (cheaper than buying a new boat)to replace the bottom of the boat? I've decided unless I find just the right desperate person I'm going to have a hard time finding what I want for anything less than 4 to 5 grand....Any advice?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Replacing the bottom of an Aluminum Boat

Nope.

Impossible to replace the bottom since the bottom is all one piece and really is the entire boat

Are you sure it will not plane out due to the bottom? What is it doing? It could be your set up and motor

jbrandon47

Cadet

Well when I got it out storage this past spring (it had a 40hp on it then) I noticed it wasn't quite running the same and it was going slower. Plus anytime you would get any speed up the right side of the boat would just spray ya with water. Well, I put a 90hp on it recently and thought I was gonna have me a good river boat. Anyway I've tried adjusting the motor, I've tried different props, still same trouble. I can get it to plane out but not without pulling 6,000 -7,000RMP's...When I do keep it around 5000RMPs always same thing, pulls real hard to the right and the the right side just digs into the water and sprays ya. Even with the motor wide open it still wont go over 32mph (it went 35 with the 40hp on it before the damage)...So I guess my best two options are either to wait the winter out and see if I someone desperate for money with a cheap boat with a blown motor, and swap equipment or find something with a good motor and sell their equipment and put mine on and scrap my boat....bc like I said the outboard I have is in real good shape and I've got a brand new trolling motor. Anyone have any other advise?

John_S

Rear Admiral

How did it happen in storage? Waterlogged foam freezing and expanding?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Many many things it could be and the very first is set up, trim tab, weight distribution, hull design, motor set up.......

what is the hull rated for?
What is the hull design - modified V, deep V flat botttom?
Where is the anti ventilation plate in relation to the hull?
Did you make any weight distribution chamges?
What prop?
6000-700 rpms!! What motor is it?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It's not impossible, if you have the right connections you might be able to order a new bottom plate for the boat. But only if there's still some stock left. I have a guy that does this once in a while but he say's it's hit and miss. The real question is as has been stated, is it really needed and of course is it practical. We don't know for sure if it's really the problem and at the current cost of aluminum it isn't practical. I with the waterlogged foam group on this. That'll make that bottom look all sorts of warped and goofy and most certainly mess with the hydrodynamics of the boat.

jbrandon47

Cadet

Bob: It is rated for a 90hp, mod v, and I don't know where the ventilation plate is, the motor is a 2003 90hp Mercury ELPTO, the motor has barely been used and I've got a brand new 75 lb motorguide on it so .... sucks.... I'm gonna have to go with the frozen foam theory, makes since, the boat did have a leaking problem in the past I never thought that it would water log, freeze and ruin the hull.....fail.

jbrandon47

Cadet

oh also no wieght changes at all, and I tried everything from the stock aluminum prop to a turbo with a variety a pitch's wouldn't catch....

Bob_VT

Staff member

Post a few photos of the transom and the motor in the running position.

You max rpm is 5500.........

Freezing and thawing in an aluminum hull usually does not harm to the hull but will harm the decking

John_S

Rear Admiral

I'd like to see pictures as well. Even I am not bought in 100% on the frozen foam. Bad roller positions on trailer?

airshot

Rear Admiral

This may be a long shot....In 1994 I had a northwood alum boat that developed a hook in the hull, dealer said nothing could be done about it. Searched and called the factory in Indiana and explained the problem to them. They agreed to take the boat in and replace all the problem areas, I had to strip the hull and drive it to the factory, did that in the fall. I picked up the boat the following april with a new bottom in it. Doing it over the winter at their leisure when things were slow. When I got it back the bill was $0.00 !! Just my labor and gas, they told me after all I did the hard part. While i will never deal with the dealer again, Northwood did me a favor, I have told that story enough times I am sure I have cut into that dealers sales and helped Northwoods buisness at the same time.

Airshot

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have absolutely NO idea, but am wondering if uhmw could be riveted on, providing a new planing surface? I know harbercraft puts it on the bottom of some of their jet boats.
Also, SJX boats in Idaho has it on theirs (3/8", somehow bonded).

lncoop

Vice Admiral

J, if you don't mind my asking where are you?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I vote for the "buy a boat w a blown motor, or a good price for a boat that meets you needs, and swap your new stuff. I think this is a good time to buy used, sellers need Christmas money!! There are alot of boats on craigslist in my area (where I'd drive to look at or buy" that would make great river boats. Not all are aluminum though.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Flexseal-seals-screen-door-in-boat2.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Okay, this may be a stupid question but I don't care... I picked it up from storage this spring and the bottom of the boat looked like it had a sledge hammer taken to it. It's bad. It won't plain out right, when you do get it to plain the motor is red lining, it has two cracks in the rear, it's trashed.

bass trackers were made from 0.090 aluminum in the mid 90's. ran my father's Bass Tracker III up on the beach many times, and never have damaged the bottom. even hitting a few stumps on the menomonee river never put more than a shiny spot on the hull. to get the damage that your talking about, you would have to bounce it off rocks repeatedly.

How did the damage occur?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

to the op......kindly disreguard the post........totally ignore it....

to all my tinny friends.........heh heh heh. :eek: :D :D :D

just for fun
oops

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

PS there is no such thing as a stupid question. Only a stupid answer like mine above :p

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I knew a guy that ruined a jonboat using it to haul stuff like a trailer, he filled it w heavy stuff and drug it down the road 2.5 hours, it was beat to crap. Allmost new boat too.