Class II (1 1/4 inch) ball mount inconsistent capacities?

cptnmcluvin

Seaman
I have two Class II, 1 1/4 inch ball mounts that have identical construction in everyway except one is straight and the other has 3 inch rise. The straight ball mount has a 3,500 lbs capacity and the ball mount with the 3 inch rise has a 2,000 lbs capacity. So, the ball mount with the rise looses 43% of it's capacity. Again, both of these mounts have identical construction, materials, and ball shaft sizes. I included a picture of both ball mounts.

Can anyone tell me why the capacities are so different?

I want to a boat/trailer combination between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs.

Will it be risky to tow this load using the ball mount with the rise?

Thanks a bunch!

John

Richmond, VA

Attachments

• 20111106_ClassII_BallMounts.jpg
    20111106_ClassII_BallMounts.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Class II (1 1/4 inch) ball mount inconsistent capacities?

The simplest answer is that the drawbar with the 3"rise is a Class I.

Does it say it is a class II?

Have a look at some sites that sell them. You will find that they sell the same item as a class I and a class II, for the same price.

I would be more concerned with the rating of the receiver on the vehicle.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Thanks for the advise. The receiver is class II and rated for 3,500 lbs.

NYBo

Admiral

I want to a boat/trailer combination between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs.

Will it be risky to tow this load using the ball mount with the rise?
In a word, yes.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

so the above answers are either close but not quite, or completely wrong...

class II is interesting... Class II hitches can be either 1-1/4 or 2, both with the same rating, and 1-1/4 drawbars can be either class I or class II... The original design spec had a notch that prevented class I drawbars from being used in class II receivers, but that was rarely followed.

So short answer, one of your drawbars is class I, one is class II. In my experience, all class II 1-1/4 drawbars are solid, class I are hollow tubing. There may be tube class II's, just haven't seen one personally.

(I currently own one vehicle with a class I and one with a Class II 1-1/4. I've got a mix of drawbars including ones with 3" lift. The 3" lift is a solid class II, while my straight (no-lift) drawbar is tube and only class I.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am going to hijack this thread, I have a Valley receiver that came out of a Hyundai SUV from the factory, it is 2" and a straight/ 1" rise at best but also rated for 3500 lbs. Is it rated so low because of the car it was shipped for had that low of a capacity? The ones I normally use with our Tahoe have a 4" rise and are rated for 5,000 lbs.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Smokingcrater,

Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the hollow tubes having less capacity. Both of my 1 1/4 ball mounts are solid. Neither use hollow tubing. They look and feel exactly the same but the capacities are very different.

It seems strange.

I will keep looking for another class II 3,500 lbs mount with the equavilent rise.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe somebody can answer this for us both? I thought the weight rating on the ball mount was the rated tonge weight of the trailer not the gross weight. Infact, I just walked outside to my Dodge 2500 4x4 and looked at the 2 5/16 ball on the back of it to see what it was rated at for comparison. It is rated for 6000lbs but my boat is well in access of 10k when fully loaded. I think your fine! If you have more than 2k at the tonge you might have a problem but I doubt thats the case. You would have to have one heck of a boat to require that kind of weight. Not to mention, if your concerned about this much weight you might need a bigger tow vehicle! LOL!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry Slow Ride, if your talking the ball and/or draw bar then your wrong. If it says 6000 lbs then that's the max total weight of the trailer and boat loaded. You need to go to the store and upgrade. There are two max's to look at, the ball itself and the draw bar. For you they both need to exceed the 10k if you have a class 5 hitch, if it's a class 4 then you should look at weight distributing setup. Just sounds like you need to rethink your setup.

Oh, best take the checkbook along because none of the above are cheap. :eek:

And the OP does need a new 3" drop bar that is rated for his use.
be safe
huts
:)

airshot

Rear Admiral

Smokingcrater,

Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the hollow tubes having less capacity. Both of my 1 1/4 ball mounts are solid. Neither use hollow tubing. They look and feel exactly the same but the capacities are very different.

You will notice on one that has the 3500 lb capacity has a gusset welded in the bend. If the material is the same (solid or tube) they will add a gusset to the lg bend to strenthen it, thus the additional weight. Same is true for most 2". With the high number of imports now availiable
the type and strength of the weld itself plays a big part. If you stay with made in usa brand names the gusset is normally the difference.

Airshot

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hungupthespikes, you are exactly right! I went back out and took a look at the draw bar and did a little research on the web and found it to be just as you said. So, tell me this, where can I find the max rating for the OEM reciever on my dodge? The max load listed in the owners manual for the vehicle is way up there but does that assume I will add additional equipment to the vehicle?

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hungupthespikes, you are exactly right! I went back out and took a look at the draw bar and did a little research on the web and found it to be just as you said. So, tell me this, where can I find the max rating for the OEM reciever on my dodge? The max load listed in the owners manual for the vehicle is way up there but does that assume I will add additional equipment to the vehicle?
There should be a max rating somewhere on the hitch itself. Most OEM hitches are a Class III or IV.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Slow Ride sent you a PM.